Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Options
On the MSE site, it was stated that Halifax Clarity will not charge for cash withdrawals abroad. I registered for a card as I am in the US where I have incurred thus far well over £200 in bank charges, hence why I am getting this card.
However, I have looked through the Ts&Cs for this card and I came across the following which seems to contradict the statement from the MSE site

MSE site stated the following -

The Halifax Clarity* has been one of our top picks for years due to its great feedback, low rates and no fees on spending or withdrawing cash abroad. Plus as it's a Mastercard, it's widely accepted overseas.

The interest you'll be charged for taking out cash is slightly higher than the Creation card above, though it only amounts to a total of roughly £1.50 per month per £100 withdrawn. So if you'd rather stick to a 'big name', this could be the card for you.

Need-to-knows
There's no fee for cash withdrawals, yet you'll be charged interest at 18.9% representative APR even if you pay it off in full. So it works out at about £1.50/month for each £100 withdrawn (if you get this APR).

But the Ts&Cs related to the Halifax Clarify site states the following:

Using cash machines
If you take money from your account using any Halifax or Bank of Scotland cash machine, we
won’t charge you for the withdrawal.
However, if you use a cash machine that isn’t a Halifax or Bank of Scotland cash machine, you may
be charged by the machine owner. If so, the machine will show you the amount and tell you that it
will be taken from your account when you withdraw the cash.
Buying goods and services in a foreign currency
If you use your debit card to withdraw cash or pay for goods and services in a currency other than
sterling, the exchange rate we use will be the Visa Payment Scheme Exchange Rate. We will charge
a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% of the amount of the transaction and a £1.50 non-sterling
purchase or non-sterling cash fee for each payment or withdrawal. Alternatively, if you choose to
complete your cash withdrawal using the overseas Bureau or cash machine provider’s conversion
rate to sterling, we will only charge a foreign ca

Comments

• andyfromotley
    Options
    not on the clarity site i found

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

scroll down and under foriegn usage Cash transaction fee - none Non sterling transaction fee - none
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You appear to have quoted from Halifax's bank account Terms and Conditions.

Halifax's Clarity card details can be found here: http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/.

Tap the Common enquiries tab, then tap on the How much will I be charged for withdrawing cash abroad? link:
    How much will I be charged for withdrawing cash abroad?

You will not be charged a fee by us for withdrawing cash from an ATM (cashpoint) anywhere in the world. Some ATM providers charge a fee, but this should be made clear to you at the time of withdrawal and is unfortunately outside of our control. You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made, but unlike some credit cards which charge a higher rate of cash, you will be charged the same competitive rate as if you had made a purchase.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tpurce wrote: »
    If you use your debit card to withdraw cash or pay for goods and services in a currency other than
    sterling, the exchange rate we use will be the Visa Payment Scheme Exchange Rate.
    Obviously the wrong page - the Halifax Clarity is a MasterCard credit card.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • lufc7
    lufc7 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the US and have been now for nearly four months I can definitely say without a shadow of a doubt that the clarity don't charge you for cash withdrawal's or using it to buy goods. The exchange rate is good and the interest charged is also very good. You can minimise interest charges if you pay card off sooner, but it's nothing too drastic if you don't pay it till due by date.
    The only charges I have incurred is when using a bank of America ATM but the charge was from them not Halifax. Others I have used no problem.
    Hope this helps to put your mind at ease.
    'If you ain't living life on the edge you are taking up too much room'
    'Everyone dies but not everyone lives'
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the above post by plombierparis15 is :spam:. Please press the spam button on his/her posts. Thank you
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    lufc7 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in the US and have been now for nearly four months I can definitely say without a shadow of a doubt that the clarity don't charge you for cash withdrawal's or using it to buy goods. The exchange rate is good and the interest charged is also very good. You can minimise interest charges if you pay card off sooner, but it's nothing too drastic if you don't pay it till due by date.
    The only charges I have incurred is when using a bank of America ATM but the charge was from them not Halifax. Others I have used no problem.
    Hope this helps to put your mind at ease.

Which ATMs haven't charged a fee?

Which state are they in?
  • lufc7
    Options
    Which ATMs haven't charged a fee?

Which state are they in?

Hi, I have used two others cannot think of the brand off the top of my head, i will be popping near one of them later today so will have a look at the brand. They are is the state of Florida. Sorry not full of all the info but will pop back on later to expand :)
  • lufc7
    Options
    OK one of them at least is a federal credit union, Star teller ATM
  • DocProc
    DocProc Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Clarity card's T&Cs definitely state, that the Exchange rate used for foreign transactions is the Mastercard Exchange Rate (MER). I guess this is because the Clarity card is actually a Mastercard.

It is usually best to pay for goods or services received in a foreign country with the currency of that country. So the MER would kick in for every transaction on the date such a transaction is recorded on the Statement.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ^ Any particular reason for posting on a thread that's been dormant for nearly two years?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure