PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ready to Exchange

Options
2»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    I'm sure they would agree with you. In my own case it definitely is the (seller's) solicitor who has us dancing his Kafka-esque dance.

The solicitors client is the one that pulls the strings. Solicitors like any other business would prefer to finish the job and move on to the next. Every person involved in the chain has their own agenda. Speed isn't always of the essence. More convenience and fitting in with their plans.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 months is not long to buy a house. Expect it to take much longer.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to my world. We put in the offer mid December and we are still not in. The seller's solicitor is obstructive and just accuses my solicitor of being pernickety instead of answering queries.

We sent what should be the last enquiry three weeks ago, which is a simple question for the seller's solicitor to email the lease company, and we still haven't had the answer back.

And this is an empty house, no chain and we're cash buyers!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car1980 wrote: »
    And this is an empty house, no chain and we're cash buyers!

There's obviously something missing from the tale then. Empty in itself has little bearing on the speed of the transaction.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Empty = implied chain free?
  • Sienna1990
    Sienna1990 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Would never give notice until after exchange.

Anything can happen before then, plus you have no idea how much longer it will take (presuming it doesn't fall through :/)

We have been told we have to leave anyway because our landlord is selling the house.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Sienna1990 wrote: »
    We have been told we have to leave anyway because our landlord is selling the house.

Doesn't change anything. Stay where you are, you'll be safe for a good few months yet while the house purchase goes through.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sienna1990 wrote: »

Not until after you told them - I doubt very much they were coincidentally planning on doing it the exact same day. Might have bought yourself some time by not saying anything - plus forums are for future readers in the same boat so my comment is not just for you but for anyone stumbling across this in the future.
    bigisi wrote: »
    Doesn't change anything. Stay where you are, you'll be safe for a good few months yet while the house purchase goes through.

Exactly that - they can't boot you out for quite some time if you chose to stay a while longer.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport