Deposit paid on cat c car

Options
Don't mind the time this is being posted, can't sleep, non related.

So last Saturday I went to view a fiesta 1.25 style from an independent dealership. The car seemed nice, only really test drove for 5 minutes in an industrial estate after my dad drove around. I obviously liked it which is why I put down the deposit. The dealer even offered delivery, since it's my first car and there's a bypass between here and there and I'm not comfortable yet.

There was obvious damage to the front and back bumpers; front bumper loose and held on with zip ties, and a dent in the back bumper. Another problem was the boot not opening due to the dent in the rear. It needed new brakes too, which were making a loud sound when coming to a stop.

NOW, I would have walked away from this car, but the dealer said that everything would be sorted before it gets to me. I asked several times just to be crystal clear. The car will get a new front bumper, the back bumper will be sorted, brakes sorted, a wash, and a fresh 12 month MOT.

I checked the MOT history, to see if it passed the MOT, but by God it failed massively. This set alarm bells ringing and I paid for a car history check, which I should have done in the first place. Turns out it was written off twice. 2015 and 2017 both cat C.

What should I do?

Car was advertised at £1795 I asked to work off of £1500 which was instantly accepted. Deposit was £200 cash.

He'll accept Bank transfer for the remaining £1300 upon delivery, would that have some sort of protection? should I ask for a further reduction? Should I cut my losses and run?

Picture of the MOT failure
JOxmu

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't open your mot link due to you being a new user. Post up the reg and someone can get the mot history posted for you. You have not said the age of the car.

Simple answer is the dealer should have declared the cat check status to you. The boot not opening shows the rear panel is distorted from the rear impact. The cost to repair this properly is more than you are paying for the car so dealer will clearly bodge it. It is likely the dealer will fit second hand front and rear bumpers, hammer the rear panel until the boot opens then hand it to you. The underlying structural damage front and rear will be hidden by these repairs.

Pull out of this deal now and ask for your deposit back on the basis the dealer failed to disclose the cat c marker.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:50AM
    Options
    If its a dealer then they are legally obliged to make you aware if its ever been a Cat C or D.

I think if its a private sale then you have to ask and they cannot lie or misrepresent the status but you say it was a dealership so you have a case for your deposit back.

Of course, it all depends on whether you want the car or not. Were you unable to open the boot due to the rear bumper being pushed up against it or was it more substantial.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://imgur.com/a/JOxmu
    Possibly part of a bodged front end repair.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 9:32AM
    Options
    The dealer doesn't have to declare the MOT history, he just has to answer truthfully any questions you ask him.The time to check out the MOT history is before you agree to buy it. And you didn't check the V5C or service history either? If you now walk away, you'll probably (best case) lose your deposit. If the dealer has already spent money on the repairs, then he may seek to recover that too. No way of knowing. He's certainly not going to give you a further reduction after you agreed the deal.
    A Cat C write off simply means that the vehicle is not economically repairable at insurance rates. If properly repaired at trade rates, it is perfectly safe.
    Why, given the number of used Fiesta's on the market, did you buy one which visibly was in poor condition? At this bottom end of the market, you should be buying privately.
    Context: what is the year and mileage?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Madness21
    Madness21 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    The plate is FP56 WUG with 68k miles.

Thanks anyway guys, I was blind but now I see it's so obvious. I'm just gonna pull out of this deal.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even ignoring the CatC and MOT history, £1,500 for a shed of a 12yo Fester, off the back of a 5min once-around-the-block? The dealer must've thought it was his birthday...

CatC simply means that the damage was more than the value at the time of the claim. For a low-value vehicle, that could be utterly trivial. I really wouldn't worry about that, just go by the apparent condition.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The dealer doesn't have to declare the MOT history, he just has to answer truthfully any questions you ask him.

I still think a dealer has to tell you before the sale if its a Cat C not just if you happen to ask or notice it on the log book.

OP has decided to pull out now anyway but I think the failure to disclose might assist the safe return of the deposit.
  • Madness21
    Options
    I'm guessing it must have been borderline Cat B/C. Everything seems good on the outside other than the bumpers, but the mot, like someone pointed out, looks like he tried to bodge it.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Madness21 wrote: »
    The plate is FP56 WUG with 68k miles.

Thanks anyway guys, I was blind but now I see it's so obvious. I'm just gonna pull out of this deal.

Prices on ebay range from £400-£2,500, so its difficult to know whether or not its good value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-1-25-2007-07-Style-LONG-MOT-LOW-MILEAGE-3-DOOR/142709304228?hash=item213a232ba4:g:HvkAAOSwWmNapUr5

The dealer could be ok? I would not want to lose £200
  • Madness21
    Options
    It's either lose £200 or lose £1500 I guess. Kinda getting worried. I want the car, but I'm a bit skeptical now. they offer 3 months warranty though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure