Barclays terminating my account without explanation

Hi MSE
I have been a Barclays customer for over 30 years - they've been at the centre of my finances for virtually my entire adult life. Recently I received a letter from them telling me that they are terminating my current and savings accounts and that I had 2 months to make other arrangements. They have done this without explanation - I have complained, but the situation is that they say they have reviewed my accounts and decided to close them - assessed against guidelines which they are unable to provide information on - i.e. totally opaque.

Has anybody else experienced this recently? I am totally bemused because:
1) My account is sufficiently in the black and has been for as long as I can remember
2) Nothing has changed with my personal situation that I can think of that would affect the standing with my bank (no disputes, fines, CCJ's, divorce etc., etc.)
3) My salary is paid in every month and has been for at least 12 years - I am the model of stability of good financial hygiene
4) I do not launder money or deal in narcotics (or anything remotely close! )

I am in discussion with my local branch and the Barclays complaints team but they are of no value.

Any advice or insight? Guesses? Anything!!!?

I have been able to transfer my current account across to HSBC (and they pay me £150 for doing so - thanks for that MSE)... I still have a mortgage which is linked to my (terminating) other accounts in an offset arrangement and that has 12 years to run.

I had wondered whether my account had been hacked or my identity stolen (i.e. getting paranoid) but there does not seem to be anything to support that theory... could it be something to do with impending GDPR? Perhaps they just don't like me... I have no idea!

Illumination/advice required please.

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you have any other accounts or products with Barclays? Including insurance?

If Barclays are not making any money out of you they can close your account for commercial reasons. Nothing you can do about it. The fact you have 60 days without your account being blocked at all would suggest this is the reason.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hardly think after 30 years they would close the OP's account because they are not making any money from this customer. Has to be another reason and as we know if they suspected anything like money laundering they would hardly give the poster 2 months notice. More like using a personal account for business purposes.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have there been a lot of small transactions, from eBay and the like?
    Or foreign transfers in or out?

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this i do think banks are in the wrong when providing no detail to their customer, as it leaves all sorts of questions about what might be going on unanswered, maybe thinsg that could be rectified but might cause an issue with another bank. is it for example a simple confusion over a name?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 7:23PM
    OP...Escalate and complain to the FOS. Ask Barclays for a final response letter before going to FOS.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I agree it is not going to be something like not making enough money off you or anything like that is going to be something fairly serious that's spooked them a

Although there is a lot of bad press about banks closeling accounts, in general they don't do it unless there is something fairly serious - unless of course there is an error

I agree that the best thing to do is to complain and then escalated to the FOS meanwhile enjoy your relationship with your new bank!

by the way it has been said a few times on this forum that you should have several current accounts so that if this happens to you then whilst it is annoying at least you do have other accounts to easily fall back on you should think about opening a current account with a couple of other banks just in case
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    Hi John,

Do you check your credit history with the three credit reporting agencies, Experian, Equifax and Callcredit?

All three offer a paid subscription service but you can get then free of charge as follows:

Experian via the MSE Credit Club
    Equifax via Clearscore
    Callcredit via Noddle

These will give you your full credit history and credit score (but ignore the score because banks and lenders do not see this). It is good that you have transferred to HSBC but if there is an identity theft problem it may follow you to HSBC and others.

Barclays will have a genuine reason but if you have done nothing out of the ordinary then it may very well be someone else doing it in your name.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Interesting name for someone questioning a service being withdrawn...

Have you been cycling money through the account, transferring everything out the day after it arrives, or anything like that?
  • I did check my credit rating with Experian as a possible indicator of something seriously wrong... but the score is high.

I have not been buying off of ebay etc... really, there's nothing suspicious I can see or out of the ordinary - and no indication from Barclays that might give me a clue... really bizarre hence the post to see if anybody else may be experiencing the same.

I will be approaching the FOS and probably a letter to my MP too - Barclays confirm they have made the decision for good reason but wont tell me what it is... if I had been doing anything dodgy I would be foolish to be pressing for an explanation.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    John_Galt wrote: »
    I did check my credit rating with Experian as a possible indicator of something seriously wrong... but the score is high.
    Please check you full credit history for any anomalies. The score is meaningless.
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    @John Galt - could it be anything to do with this? Can you recall ever being asked to confirm information by Barclays and you haven't done it?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5708407
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport