If you do not have a trusted relative or friend, who can you use for Lasting Power of Attorney?

Options
I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

I work with someone who due to ill health has difficulty at times managing her day to day finances. So then gets into debt and financial difficulties.

Do accountants offer this service? Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I doubt if an accountant would do it. Solicitor would be the usual route, but expect it to be an expensive option.

To be honest I'm not sure that LPA is the best option for your colleague anyway, I would suggest that you post on the Debt Free Wannabe board to see what solutions they can suggest.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,635 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Unfortunately the only people who can manage financial affairs who are not relatives or friends are likely to charge. If this person is already in debt this is unlikely to help. When you say I'll health do you mean mental health?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The power of attorney will only allow a second person to act on behalf of the first person, it will not prevent the first person from acting on their own behalf if they are able to do so. I would also expect that this would require a solicitor, and all the costs that come with that.
  • nappy501
    nappy501 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, I will try posting on the other board.

The person I support has physical ill health and mental health issues. Their income is actually greater than their outgoings, but they have got into a mess and the bank charges eat up the excess.
  • nappy501
    nappy501 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nappy501 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses, I will try posting on the other board.

The person I support has physical ill health and mental health issues. Their income is actually greater than their outgoings, but they have got into a mess and the bank charges eat up the excess.

I realise a solicitor could do this, but would be a lot more expensive than an accountant.

When I checked on the internet I noticed that they have this service in USA, just wondered if there was similiar here.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nappy501 wrote: »
    ......they have got into a mess and the bank charges eat up the excess.
    To sort the mess, they could try to get help from their local CAB, or perhaps from StepChange
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure