clutch replacement for "brake fluid level low"

Options
"Brake fluid level low - service immediately" came up on my 2012 Fiesta (manual) while driving. Parking brake light stays on, and warning beeps and comes up every time I start car.

Took to garage which replaced my brake pads and shoes last service (10 months ago). They had a look, say issue is leak in brake/clutch reservoir, say I should change clutch as they'll have to take gear box out to fix the leak so given milage might as well do clutch.

Written estimate - £492.60 (incl VAT, labour and parts)

Does this make sense - I've read up on brake fluid low faults and cause is linked to worn brakes or leak in brake system. Clutch isn't mentioned.

Car 48000 miles, do 10000 miles a year, righthand drive

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Modern cars have hydraulic brakes and clutches, the same reservoir serves them both.

Its another reason why regular fluid changes are recommended.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The clutch and brakes share the same hydraulic fluid and reservoir which is why a leak in the clutch system will cause low brake fluid warnings.

If the leak is at the gearbox end and they have to remove the gearbox to fix it, you're paying for the labour anyway, and clutch parts themselves are relatively cheap.

So it sounds believable/reasonable.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2018 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Another vote here for "makes perfect sense".

Hydraulic brakes and clutches work by you pushing the master cylinder, which moves fluid, which pushes the slave cylinder. On many modern cars, the slave cylinder is integral with the release bearing, which is hidden away totally inside the bellhousing between engine and gearbox. Nothing you can do without taking the gearbox out.

Not only that, but if it's leaked, then the friction plate will almost certainly be contaminated.

The hydraulic fluid in brakes and clutchs is hygroscopic - it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. That not only lowers the boiling point (so your brakes can boil and become very, very ineffective) but it rusts out the hydraulic cylinders and metal pipes from the inside. Changing it every couple of years is one of the most neglected bits of preventative maintenance...

The parts are the thick end of £200 if your Fiesta's petrol...

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/clutch-kit/sachs-3000-990-314_g479_a0323000!990!314.html
    ...and a big chunk more for diesel.

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/clutch-kit/sachs-3000-990-320_g479_a0323000!990!320.html

Other sources and brands may be available, that's just the cheapest reputable parts from just one site.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    Options
    Written estimate - £492.60 (incl VAT, labour and parts)

Does this make sense - I've read up on brake fluid low faults and cause is linked to worn brakes or leak in brake system. Clutch isn't mentioned.

Car 48000 miles, do 10000 miles a year, righthand drive

Predicting how long a clutch will last, is like solving a complex equation with lots of variables. Any of those variables can make a big difference in how the equation comes out. You'll hear stories about clutches that last more than 100,000 miles (160,934 kilometers) and other stories about clutches that wear out in less than 30,000

If you are keeping the car a couple of years, then maybe; do you feel lucky?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above there are certain things on cars which are worth doing when having something else done regardless of whether there is a fault with that part simply due to the labour costs involved when they do fail.

Changing the clutch if you don't know its been done if the gearbox has to be taken off for any reason is one of those. Changing the water pump at the same time as a cambelt is another as on most cars the job is almost identical as the water pump is driven by the cambelt. I'm getting a noisy wheelbearing done the same time as replacing my front shocks because in both cases the hub needs to be taken off the front strut so it makes sense to do them both at the same time.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, am I missing something here?

My car has hydraulic brakes and clutch. The reservoirs are totally separate.

Even if they had a common reservoir to save 10p, they would still have separate master cylinders, lines etc, and that is where any leaks would occur. How can a leak in the brakes cause a leak in the clutch? The 2 systems are completely seperate. Either you've got a leak in one or t'other.

OP have you tried topping up the brake reservoir? The level does fall as the brakes wear. If the light quickly returns you've got a leak somewhere, and in my experience usually at a slave cylinder, try looking under the car at the wheels to see if any fluid is leaking.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Separate reservoirs is the exception not the norm. Most modern cars with hydraulic clutches have a shared reservoir with the brakes.

Op has helpfully given a detailed breakdown of the problem. Brakes were done 10 months ago around 8000 miles so the low break fluid level is not going to be due to break pad wear.

Changing the clutch whilst the gearbox is out makes complete sense. The price is fair for the work they are doing.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    Sorry, am I missing something here?

My car has hydraulic brakes and clutch. The reservoirs are totally separate.

In a single word "Yes".

All the manual cars I have owned have had seperare clutch and brake reservoirs but that makes no difference to the OP as theirs are combined.

The quote seems fair however I would suggest checking what parts are being used, due to the labour involved it's not worth getting cheap parts fitted.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    All the manual cars I have owned have had seperare clutch and brake reservoirs but that makes no difference to the OP as theirs are combined.
    I currently have two vehicles with hydraulic clutches.
    One has separate reservoirs, one has a single combined.

konark wrote: »
    Even if they had a common reservoir to save 10p, they would still have separate master cylinders, lines etc, and that is where any leaks would occur. How can a leak in the brakes cause a leak in the clutch? The 2 systems are completely seperate. Either you've got a leak in one or t'other.
    But a leak in one - either one - will cause the reservoir level to drop. There's only one reservoir. It has a warning of low level.

The clutch take-off from the reservoir will be higher than the brake, so a leak in the clutch will not leave you without brakes.
  • normalpeopleworryme
    Options
    Thanks all. Will go ahead and get it sorted
    Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business