CTC & CB for 17 year old living at college for part of the year

Options
My son has a place at college starting in September to study public services Level 2 (full time). He hopes to go into the Forces the year after so we're discussing him living on campus as a gentle start to leaving home. He's guaranteed a place in an under 18's single sex block with breakfast & evening meals provided Mon-Fri. He'll have to agree to a curfew, members of staff are available 24/7 & the college is a long way from anywhere with public transport stopping at 6pm, so it's a safe environment. It'll also be easier for him as the journey from home to college is difficult.

What happens to the child tax credits & child benefit I currently claim?

He'll be living with me for the weeks he's not at college (all holidays - around 14 weeks of the year & has to empty his room each holiday) & I'm near enough to visit if there are any problems. He won't be 18 until that course has ended.

The thought of him leaving home is :eek: although considering he wants to join the forces it does sound better than going straight into the forces from home. Any general comments are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• naturaljazz
    naturaljazz Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are still responsible for him and so you would get the child benefit until he is 20 as he is in full time non-advanced college/training. You would get tax credits as you are responsible for him. Lots of kids in rural areas do this.

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-credits-and-benefits/tax-credits/can-i-claim-my-child-aged-16-or-over

Let child benefit and tax credits know he is going into approved non-advanced training.
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
  • JKS$(
    JKS$( Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are still responsible for him and so you would get the child benefit until he is 20 as he is in full time non-advanced college/training. You would get tax credits as you are responsible for him. Lots of kids in rural areas do this.

Thank you - didn't think about rural areas, that does make sense.

I'd had different advice from different times from TC helpline - this is an ongoing theme with TC & DWP in my experience & I've lost all faith in what they say. It never used to be like that but I suppose thats what years of cuts does to a service :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure