PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy Query and When are Fees Due?

Options
Hi All

Looking to purchase a house next year with Help to Buy (yes I know some of you on here don't support this Scheme but at present it works for me and my partner). The developments we are looking at are offering incentives such as legal fees, Stamp Duty paid etc, which would be a great help as the SDLT is about 7k for the property we are looking to buy. I have the money for deposit and extras but not the SDLT.

Query is, can these incentives be used if using HTB? I've read conflicting information online as to whether this is allowed or not? I know you can't PX your house with HTB, it is one or the other.

Also when are all the deposit, SDLT, legal fees etc. expected to be paid? My last house was very minimal on SDLT and the developers then helped with legal fees but I can't remember how early on this was paid.

Just trying to work out money currently available and what I need to save etc.

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some lenders accept no cash incentives on HTB, others cash incentives upto 5% of the purchase price with various stops inbetween.

Lender selection is going to depend on what's on your reservation when it lands on your broker's desk.

Funds to cover searches in solicitor's hands early on, 5% deposit in solicitor's hands for exchange of contracts. Fees, balance of any deposit and SDLT in solicitor's hands for completion.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Ec0
    Ec0 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this kingstreet.

I have been reviewing lending criteria online (I know can very much be a broad view of lenders and not always followed depending on individual cases) and most HTB mortgages that I have looked at, Natwest, Barclays, Nationwide etc., all seem to accept up to 5% with some not including white goods, carpets etc. into this.

Could you advise which of the lenders don't allow such incentives?

I note that most HTB lenders clearly state cash incentives to help with the 5% deposit are not allowed, which is fine as I have this money to hand.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not necessarily the amount, it's the use/purpose.

Some will accept anything, others exclude some things, others something else.

Suggest checking the criteria at the time.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • poshphil
    poshphil Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Something else to bear in mind which I rather embarrassingly didn't realise until we were starting the mortgage process, was that HTB has different affordability criteria to mortgage lenders. I had done affordability calculators on the mortgage, and it looked like we could have borrowed a fair bit more than what we needed, but we did not meet the HTB affordability criteria and needed to borrow less to use HTB. We were fortunate that we would have been able to borrow the extra from family if needed, but in the end we chose a different property on another development.

You may well have already looked at this but is worth bearing in mind.
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ec0 - it would be good idea to speak with a mortgage broker who is used to dealing with HtB and letting them know what your needs are.
  • Ec0
    Options
    Hi PoshPhil,

Do you mean in reference to the gov.uk calculator for HTB affordability?
    I have looked at the calculator and believe that providing sufficient deposit is available and income to debt ratio is not more than 45% there isn’t anything else looked at?
    Unless I have missed something?
  • Ec0
    Options
    Thanks ethank, my plan is to talk to a broker in a few months.

I am just concerned at the minute as I have the deposit we need plus enough for legal fees etc. We may have enough for stamp duty providing the solicitors don’t expect to have this money at the same time as the deposit? Or do they want a big lump sum of everything (fees, deposit and SDLT) all at the same time?
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Deposit needed for exchange. Stamp duty and fees needed for completion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure