Building credit rating 19

Options

Comments

• Jas7
    Jas7 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I want to apply for an Amex also, the finance company requested I have 600-700 credit score so they can offer me the premium of lower intrest and free insurance
  • Jas7
    Options
    I have the money but I want to go through finance because they’ll cover costs like insurance for me at my age will be expensive
  • Jas7
    Options
    The finance lender said I would need a good credit score around the figures I gave, I also want to apply for an Amex so I can earn points. This is not a wind up lol, please let me know roughly how long it can take to get my score up to that and should I apply for more cards. What should I do to get a higher score. Thanks
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jas7 wrote: »
    I want to apply for an Amex also, the finance company requested I have 600-700 credit score so they can offer me the premium of lower intrest and free insurance

So are you in the US?

Because it's highly unusual for a financial institution in the UK to be asking people to have specific credit scores.
  • Jas7
    Options
    Roughly how long would it take to get to 600, I also want to apply for an Amex which I got rejected right now. Please let me know . Thanks
  • Jas7
    Options
    No in the UK. ascot area
  • boo_star
    Options
    No in the UK. ascot area

OK well, it's a highly unusual request then.

I'm not sure why you want to throw money away paying interest when you have the money in the bank and as far as Amex goes you'll probably be waiting a while. They're notoriously picky.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The UK doesn't use credit scores so ignore any reference to them.

There's so many questions here - is this a genuine post?
  • boo_star
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    The UK doesn't use credit scores so ignore any reference to them.

There's so many questions here - is this a genuine post?

The only thing I can think of is that the finance company is referring to their own internal score for the OP. But if that's the case then asking on here how to improve it is pointless as only the finance company are going to know how their scoring system works and I doubt they'll tell anyway lest people try to game it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2019 at 5:54PM
    Options
    The finance lender said I would need a good credit score around the figures I gave, I also want to apply for an Amex so I can earn points. This is not a wind up lol, please let me know roughly how long it can take to get my score up to that and should I apply for more cards. What should I do to get a higher score. Thanks

Some patience.

Buy a car with the money you have saved up.
    Do you need a Range Rover ?

Id forget the idea of an Amex flr the moment, you've been rejected anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure