Money Moral Dilemma: Should we start charging our friends for looking after their dog?

Options

Comments

• staggered
    staggered Posts: 350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It only costs about £5 a week to feed my dog. I think Bob must be feeding his neighbours' dog prime cuts of meat :)

If you were looking after the dog 5 days a week, that might be a bit of a burden. But it's only twice a week.

However, if it's inconvenient, tell your friend. I'm sure they wouldn't want to cause you any inconvenience.

Don't charge them, though, that's an awful idea. Dog sitters charge because they do it for a living.
  • nickbooth1970
    Options
    A lot of people are commenting on you, but not your friends. Friends are friends and this means they should be thinking of you as much as you should think of them.
    If you are thinking these thoughts then they should be having the same concerns about leaving the dog with you. A dog can be a heavy burden, and with it comes responsibility of the ownership. I own a dog, and luckily work from home. My dog is loved very much by my family and my wives and if we are both out, then we are lucky enough to have family members either dog sit, or pop over and give him a walk. The only friends I would ever ask, is ones that have offered, and this is always gifted with a nice bottle of wine or similar just for one day. That is what I value on my dog having companionship throughout the day when I am not there.
    Your friends may well believe you like having their dog, but in reality, you are maybe their easiest and cheapest option, but this shouldn't make their dog a burden to you (which it clearly is or you wouldn't have posted)
    Personally I would tell them you are going to start being busier and will no longer be able to look after the dog as readily. If they take hum-bridge to this, then they really are not very good friends and the problem will go away anyway.
    One thing someone else said earlier though, its ok to say no. I struggled with this earlier in life, people respect opinion (sometimes)
  • The_Jester
    The_Jester Posts: 230 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2019 at 9:39AM
    Options
    It's a tricky one because we don't know the relationship you have with them. Are they real friends or just acquaintances? The fact you've raised an issue tells me perhaps they're not real friends.

I assume you now think they're taking advantage of you. Sadly some friends can do this.

If you like the dog and it keeps you company then I don't see the problem. But if it's restricting you from doing other things then you need to address the issue and explain to them.

I had a similar issue a few years ago. I have 3 dogs and my neighbour asked if I could walk her Lab. It wasn't a problem for me as I would be out with mine anyway. Gradually though it began to irk me because I found out her son could walk the dog but chose not to and then she began complaining I was letting him go into the canal to swim (that's what Labs do). Eventually I told her I wasn't walking her dog anymore as she was taking the mickey.

It sounds like you'll have that conversation too. But remember by continuing to look after their dog means you could ask them virtually any favour and they couldn't refuse you. I call it the 'favour bank'

Good luck.
  • archie1411
    archie1411 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Is looking after the dog all 'one-way traffic' i.e. do you get nothing out of doing such as the fun of having a dog without the expense? Does looking after the dog stop you doing anything - going out for the day, going on holiday etc? If the answer to the both of these is 'Yes', don't charge just stop doing it. If the answer is 'no' then carry on and enjoy the benefits
  • colins5286
    Options
    Whilst it may have started out as a favor and grown into more of a commitment you shouldn't look to charge.
    If it's not something you want to do then just talk to your friends. I've no doubt they will appreciate the help you have given over the months/years and are probably completely unaware of how you feel.
    Which is why you need to talk.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Have you tried that strange route of actually talking to your friends to tell them how you feel? They aren't mind readers.

You're right of course, Brynsam, but OP is looking for advice before broaching the subject: "Should we start charging them and, if so, how should we approach the subject?"

This is supposed to be a safe forum for seeking advice.
  • paul_k
    paul_k Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar thing every year I look after next doors cat(I hate cats) this is for about 7 weeks.
    It takes 5 minutes a day to nip round and feed it.
    They offer to pay me but I will not accept.
    However next door is a carpenter and he fitted my door handles for free.
    He has offered to box in some pipes this year ,again free.
    So in effect I am getting rewarded.
    So I would say DO NOT LOOK FOR PAYMENT IN CASH if you do you will need to declare this income on your tax return!
    I would look for a favour from them,what do they do at work ? they may have skills you can use.
    Good luck,it's good to have good neighbours.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    My 95 year old neighbour is with Canadabob, she has three visiting labs who stay with her daily Mon to Fri from breakfast to dinner. A professional dog walker takes them midday for a two hour walk, and all their meals are provided, although she does treat them with carrots and toast! She loves their company and they clearly adore her. She's going deaf now so when the doorbell or phone goes, they alert her by barking and nudging her, otherwise they're very gentle around her. It's a big plus having three large dogs come to the door when she opens it, no conman is going to push past them and take advantage of a frail old lady. When the neighbours come home and fetch them for the night, they stay for a glass of wine and sometimes bring dinner to have with her so she's not short of company.

The arrangement has been going on for over ten years, it's a win-win situation all round.

In OP's situation, I'd think about what you want to do, read the advice here, then make up your mind. I see three options - continue as usual, the odd gifts shows they appreciate your services; tell them it's becoming too much on a regular basis and say occasionally would be fine; ask for money and risk losing their friendship.
  • MinnieCooper55
    Options
    If you start charging, you will need a council licence. This came in with the new Animal Welfare Act. So be careful. Any petsitter will request that your friends supply the food. So I suggest that you ask food to come with the dog. And leave it at that. Good luck!
  • Redred31
    Options
    Unless you have council registration and full public liability insurance for both the dog and other people you can’t consider charging. If these people are friends why would you want to charge them? Presumably you have enjoyed having the dog to stay or you wouldn’t have got involved in the first place. If you are fed up of having the dog just explain that you can’t do it anymore. Most people would want their dog to be with friends who enjoy having a dog short term but without any of the expense or responsibility. Otherwise you hire a professional who has all the required registrations and insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure