default on catalogue from 2015 still on credit report

Options
Would a default still remain on clear score if the catalogue debt was disputed by social services appointee i.e I was lacking in capacity when debt was incurred which there was proof - irresponsible lending... And catalogue wrote debt off... Would that still remain on credit report as a open outstanding balance on credit report = although it was confirmed as they've written it off by Lowell, my supported living manager rang them and thats what they said? Thank you...

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Obtaining a write-off on your debt is likely to have a negative impact on your ability to get credit in the future for up to six years. If a creditor writes off your debt, it means that no further payments are due. You should ask that the balance on credit reference agency reports is set to zero, although the debt will be registered as a default on credit reference agency reports, they can add a flag to the account to indicate that a write-off or a partial write-off was agreed. You should obtain copies from all three credit reference agencies to check that this has been done.

Source: https://www.moneyadvicehub.org.uk/debtipedia/advice-and-information-debtipedia/debt-advice/debt-options-overview/debt-write-off
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would a default still remain on clear score if the catalogue debt was disputed by social services appointee i.e I was lacking in capacity when debt was incurred which there was proof - irresponsible lending... And catalogue wrote debt off... Would that still remain on credit report as a open outstanding balance on credit report = although it was confirmed as they've written it off by Lowell, my supported living manager rang them and thats what they said? Thank you...

You defaulted on your agreement with the creditor. Registering a default is a factual account of what happened.

You should be thankful you've had the debt written off. Quit while you're ahead.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    "I was lacking in capacity when debt was incurred which there was proof - irresponsible lending..."
    Were the catalogue company aware of your "capacity" when you applied? I'm sure that I have never, ever been asked if I am capable enough to take on the debt, other than financially.
    Shouldn't this be irresponsible borrowing?
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Way I see it, the default marker is an accurate representation of what has happened (ie. you were lent money and didn't pay it back). The fact the debt was written off because of your circumstances doesn't really change that - you could try your luck asking them to remove it, but I wouldn't expect much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure