PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Well done on realising that the more you shop the more you spend :)

I don't mean that to be rude, but it's true that if you do a midweek shop, you spend more then you need to

What I tend to do with veg, is plan my meals with the fresh veg heavy meals at the start of the week, working towards Friday night is chip night :)

So Sunday will have a full compliment of fresh veg with the Sunday roast, Monday is invariably the same. Tuesday, different fresh veg, Wednesday it might just be root veg or salad , Thursday will be roots or using up little bits and bobs in a stir fry. I always have frozen peas and corn to hand

Fresh veg lasts a long while tbh. I buy on a Saturday and I might not use it all that week, it's fine the following. I bought a butternut squash that sat in the fridge for 3 months before I got round to using it , and even then it was just the stalk gone a bit mouldy

Fruit ( which I personally don't eat) also lasts well. Buy in season and you will have less waste as its not been in cold store for months before sitting in your nice warm house. Those severely fluctuating temps tend to make fruit rot quicker. Apples, pears, bananas, oranges all last a good week. Canned fruit is just as good for you as long as it's in natural unsweetened juice, not syrup

Bread, we do use a lot off and I need a mid week loaf as I don't have freezer space to spare. So I buy it at the local petrol station. Costs me 30p more but saves me £10 as nothing else is bought lol

So tonight's dinner is roast chicken. We will have roast parsnips and carrots ( a bit bendy but will be fine roasted) and some Brussels bought last week and not used. Might have to trim a little more but they are still firm and peas. Maybe not 5 a day for me, but the rest eat fruit so I'm not worrying

Great advice Suki1964 :beer:
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 68

Can you guess?.......

Yep, another NSD :j and.....

we have had an awesome week selling on ebay so our savings are starting to look really healthy :D
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done that woman :)

Gets kind of addictive doesn't it?

Since the end of January Ive managed to squirrel away £700 little by little and once I get to £1k Ill put half away in a long term saving account and start again.. I don't want to tie it all up so half and half suits me. Or I might start a little pension scheme, Im not sure yet

One thing I did do yesterday was apply for a cash back credit card. I intend to pay for my petrol and the groceries on that, pay it off monthly and reap the rewards. Well I won't be getting rich quick but as they say - every little helps :)

Im not really one who works with credit, but being poorly in bed I had time to read this site more thoroughly and Martin endorses doing it as long as you pay off the balance each month so a direct debit will be set up before I use it

Im liking the idea of free money :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As you say suki every little helps, I am always surprised at how so many small copper coins and even 5p's are discarded in the street

My DGS collect these, as do I, and they go into a big tin for our holiday ice creams, one year our 'road kill' amounted to almost 78 quid !!!

The boys say often the other lads at school just throw them away as they come out of the local sweet shop.My DGS Henry has eagle eyes and always picks them up for Granny's treat pot :) I collect points via my M &S c/card and JL credit card for purchases, and use the points when turned to vouchers for Christmas presents I always pay the balance before its due and basically use the two cards as debit cards Very useful even filling the car up will give me the odd 50p in points. Small savings that gradually grow are brilliant I think
    JackieO x
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Since the end of January Ive managed to squirrel away £700 little by little and once I get to £1k Ill put half away in a long term saving account and start again.. I don't want to tie it all up so half and half suits me. Or I might start a little pension scheme, Im not sure yet

One thing I did do yesterday was apply for a cash back credit card. I intend to pay for my petrol and the groceries on that, pay it off monthly and reap the rewards. Well I won't be getting rich quick but as they say - every little helps :)

Im not really one who works with credit, but being poorly in bed I had time to read this site more thoroughly and Martin endorses doing it as long as you pay off the balance each month so a direct debit will be set up before I use it

We do this. My credit card gets me points for a well known supermarket; my DH’s gives him cash back. The one thing we both do is, whenever we make a purchase, we immediately transfer the money to pay off the card. Otherwise, it is too easy to “forget” and spend the cash before the bill comes in. I cannot remember the last time I paid credit card interest.

Until recently, we both drove a lot for work. I bought all the petrol for both of us on my credit card, which pays 1 point per £1 spent, and we’d routinely get an extra £10 of vouchers each time points were converted to vouchers.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    We do this. My credit card gets me points for a well known supermarket; my DH’s gives him cash back. The one thing we both do is, whenever we make a purchase, we immediately transfer the money to pay off the card. Otherwise, it is too easy to “forget” and spend the cash before the bill comes in. I cannot remember the last time I paid credit card interest.

Until recently, we both drove a lot for work. I bought all the petrol for both of us on my credit card, which pays 1 point per £1 spent, and we’d routinely get an extra £10 of vouchers each time points were converted to vouchers.

- Pip

Thanks for that

This is the one worry I have, where do I transfer the money too ? And I'm going to have to show the money as spent as I'm weekly paid and I don't want to double spend by accident

I have a lovely little app for my bank which shows every penny I've spent and where and it's really helping me keep on top of things. I can't pretend a night out was only £10 when its there in black and white that I bought a frock and handbag, put a round of drinks on the card and got a takeaway lol

You can tell it's been many years since I dealt with credit. DH has a credit card which is connected to his bank account but the card I've applied for has no connection to my bank at all so I've been worrying about how this all works
  • TM6
    edited 25 March 2018 at 12:23PM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 69

Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to Truro,
    A beautiful day.......

We had a really super morning at the auction in Truro. A first occurred, as we were packing up one of our lots, we were asked if we were willing to sell one of the Wedgwood trinket boxes (which wasn't what had attracted us to the lot!) Including commission, the lot cost us £38.40 and the lady offered £14, result :D

On the way home, we called in at 2 x Bookers, several low price local shops, and the Cheap Food Store.

A high spend day but most items at Bookers were RTC

I did spend £5 on a little gift for myself that I didn't need but wanted (my excuse is that this is the first time I have done this in ages!)
  • TM6
    Options

Unfortunately I promised myself I would never get a credit card again when a few years ago I couldn't pay my balance off in full. It was too much temptation then and I still don't think I would be as strict with it as I would like so it is still a no no for me.

I admire everyone who makes it work for them :D
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 70

I am desperately trying not to be seduced by the supermarket's drive to get me to spend my money with the save xxx when you spend xxx

In the past, I used to use them without fail but under my new regime, I am being a lot more canny! I have discarded or passed several on in the past few months

However, via e-mail, I received a coupon for a shop at Morrison's which was a very good one so needing our usual bread, veg etc we visited Morrisons. However we stuck to our list so I'm very pleased :D
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 71

With family coming down for Easter, spending on food, entertainment gave way to making sure that everywhere is clean, tidy and welcoming so...

A NSD :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure