can anyone share there last windows virus experience?

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Browser redirect when it(they) start up. Investigating now. (not really a virus I guess but assume this sort of thing is in scope of the thread).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's malware - you know what to do ;)
  • yccheok91
    Options
    I realize Windows 10, is much much more stable than Windows 8, Windows XP or any earlier version.

Since it comes with ow Windows Defender, I don't think I want to install another Anti-Virus. I think it did a reasonable good job, as long as I be caution enough, not to download or open those hanky-panky file.

So far, Windows Defender able to catch some virus, warn me and prompt me to remove. Nothing serious really happen.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    ^^ Welcome to MSE
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Windows 10 more stable than older versions? are you sure? Ive not had any issues since windows ME, although i skipped Vista.

Windows ME used to alter the colour of the icons (went grey) after leaving the computer running for 4 or 5 days. Poor memory management.

None of the OS's have crashed unless i was overclocking and pushing the system to the limits. XP was super stable and quite a few systems still run it even today.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Windows 10 more stable than older versions? are you sure? Ive not had any issues since windows ME, although i skipped Vista.

Windows ME used to alter the colour of the icons (went grey) after leaving the computer running for 4 or 5 days. Poor memory management.

None of the OS's have crashed unless i was overclocking and pushing the system to the limits. XP was super stable and quite a few systems still run it even today.

From a stability perspective, I actually agree with this. I was unfortunately required to use XP for many years and it was generally reliable and 7 hasn't been too bad either. My only experience of 8 was when I was doing driver development on a pre-release so can't comment on that. Windows 10 I'm yet to use.

Windows ME..... :D I remember some fun with that. Horrendous OS. Basically built on 95 and 98 isn't it, so all of those funky security holes are probably still there and unpatched :)
  • grumpycrab
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Browser redirect when it(they) start up. Investigating now. (not really a virus I guess but assume this sort of thing is in scope of the thread).
    Hate these browser redirects. Malwarebytes and/or adwcleaner appears to have got rid. Until the next time.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 1:18PM
    Options
    Windows 10 more stable than older versions? are you sure?..... XP was super stable and quite a few systems still run it even today.

I am still running XP on an old Samsung notebook and it’s fine.

Admittedly software availability is getting less and less so it’ll get binned eventually, but from a security point it’s perfectly safe if locked down properly. Certainly safer than Windows 10 solely relying on Windows Defender and Windows Firewall for protection.
  • grumpycrab
    Options
    Gillor wrote: »
    I am still running XP
    Sorry, off topic, but friend said they want to "upgrade" (or is that downgrade?) from ME (yes, ME) to XP. Any reliable sources for XP?
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Gillor wrote: »
    Certainly safer than Windows 10 solely relying on Windows Defender and Windows Firewall for protection.

I've never seen anybody be so wrong in all my life !!!

XP has more holes than swiss cheese - and they are no longer being filled by Microsoft - and haven't been for a while

You put that machine anywhere near an internet connection and it is open season on it.
    I know at least 10 cracks that could completely own it in seconds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport