Earthgirl's Final Battle

Options

Comments

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks Nhs and Apple. Not out of turn at all, although you only have my side of things!

Yes going to hand over to OH, have a nice shower and early night. Haven't slept properly since Sunday. Early morning sat and sun with job number 2, but now it's very much needed!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks earthgirl - I know we only have your side. But we are on your side! Hope you sleep well x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry that things are tough.
    Keep plodding.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is OHs business reliant on seasons or is it just a general decline in the sector he's working in? Can he just walk away now and get something else more steady?

I think you're doing enough as it is (to much at times) and you need to not take anything else on to bridge gaps, you're in a good position financially for now.

How long before your eldest will be moving schools and why move? Is the catchment school that bad? My eldests secondary school was in the top 10 of girls grammar schools across the U.K. the year she started, 3 years later, a change of head and lots of staff retired and it dropped so low on the leader board. They go up and down so quickly so don't rule the local one out just yet (if that's the problem).
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It is a bit seasonal but this is a more fundamental issue with insurance. Yes he can walk away but doesn't want to. He is sometimes quite positive sometimes quite negative about the future of the business. We are going out to tea tonight with a voucher that he got for his birthday. Hoping to thrash things out there. BYOB which is great!

Yes school catchment doesn't need considering for 3 years!

What a difference a good sleep makes!! Honestly feel like a different person today! Leaving my negative post for posterity but now feeling so much more positive. Stress at work, kids illness and possible collapse of business isn't going to get me down, it isn't "futile" and maybe plans are not derailed, just taking a slight detour and might be delayed!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear things are tough, Earthgirl. Please listen to the others though, don't take on any more work - you're so busy at it is.

If IF you needed to move for schools, could renting somewhere close to chosen school work then keep actually living in your home and commute? Or are the distances too great? Any religious schools nearby? They tend to be better too. I'm going to be finding God in a couple of years in order to get the kids into the good local-ish CofE school. Would this be an option for you too? As already pointed out, it's a way off yet anyway.

Enjoy your meal tonight, hope you sort out a plan xx
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your meal :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry things are tough.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Have a lovely meal
    x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely comments and encouragement. Got loads done yesterday. £3 spent on ds1 football class, took kids and a friend to the park, helped PIL with garden (I'm just doing a few hours a week as they help us with so much). Kids played in the garden and I got plants potted on and tidied away washing.

Its going to be little and often to clear the housework back log but I'll get there! Makes me want to have a contingency plan for when everything does overwhelm me again.

Thanks we had a lovely meal - it was really outstanding, and we had most of the meal with a voucher, free babysitting from OHs parents, and I drove so it was very cheap.

OH feeling quite positive and he didn't want to talk about plan C which is him getting a job. I made him though and we came up with some ideas and also some things he wouldn't like to try.

With schools I could do all of the above apart from the religious school - isnt a good one in my area. But my insticts are telling me that it wouldn't be a good thing, its quite a close knit comunity here and it would cause lots of problems. There are ways and means though, and I suppose a temporary move is an option. There are always options :)

I might sign the kids up to beavers in the area I want, going on Wednesday, and I have their names down for a football team over there anyway. This wont affect the school application, its more the social aspect.

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just catching up EG, and sorry to hear things have been so tough. You are amazing at seeing the positives though.

Glad you had a good meal with OH. I can completely understand where he is coming from re getting a job. It's something I've had to consider before now, but I've always resisted. I know if needs must then that's the way it has to be, but I do understand how he feels. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Beavers will be great for the boys!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback