Investing for the long term

Options
2»

Comments

• rathernot
    rathernot Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    There's a lot of love for LifeStrategy on here which is because it's a good product, but if you're looking at the LS100 I'd also consider a simple global tracker.

LifeStrategy isn't a tracker, there's a bias towards the UK more than a true global tracker would be - that may not be a problem but something to consider if you literally want something that tracks the true world markets.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nudge3 wrote: »
    Thank you, I was interested in the Vanguard LifeStrategy 100. I know it's higher risk but also higher returns over the long term. What do you think?

If the plan is to lock the money away for retirement. Then choose a more diversified option. Will be lower risk and therefore potentially a lower return. However will incrementally grow whatever market is flavour of the month.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Nudge3 wrote: »
    Would that mean the money would be locked away for a minimum term of 23 years without being able to access even if I wanted to?
    No access at all for a SIPP.

Access with a penalty on the portion of it that you access, with a LISA
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    In fact it may be 25 years as I think there are plans to maybe raise the age from 55 to 57 in a few years time.

That is already confirmed and it could rise again. A 32 year old shouldn't plan on being able to access their SIPP until age 60.
  • Nudge3
    Nudge3 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!
  • Nudge3
    Nudge3 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    No access at all for a SIPP.

Access with a penalty on the portion of it that you access, with a LISA

Bowlhead99, thank you for your response, what would you recommend?
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 fund has a large bias to the FTSE 100 - so I would only choose this fund if I believed this index will outperform. There's Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index fund which attempts to mirror the global stock market with no regional bias. I can understand why people use LifeStrategy 20/40/60/80 funds but I have no idea why someone would want to use the 100.

Yep, that's what I'd do with 5K if I had paid off all my high interest debts
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure