Irish cottage journey to (4!!) mortgage freedom

Options

Comments

• hildosaver
    hildosaver Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 April 2018 at 11:41AM
    Options
    Haven't updated this in a while so wanted to give a brief overview of where I am now.

Mortgage 1 - main home - house value £220k - mortgage £112k on a 2.09% 5 year fixed deal - overpay £200 p/m

Mortgage 2 - rental - house value £105k - mortgage £77k on a 4.45% SVR (eeek) - OP £500 p/m - rented for £500 p/m

Mortgage 3 - rental - house value £60k - mortgage £36k on SVR of £3.19 (currently getting new deal sorted) - rented for £350 p/m

Overall I O/P on average £700 p/m - I also pay £150 p/m off credit card (£600 left) - I also add £150 p/m to savings account (currently have £10,600 in savings). Does not leave me with a huge amount left each month but it is enough to live on.

I did get a promotion in work in the last 6 months which has helped (band 7 NHS) and I hope to increase my OP's by another £100 by the end of this year all being well.

Forgot to add DW has her old house rented out now as well for £400 p/m which covers the mortgage - not yet OP'ing but I will encourage!

In other news - IVF is ongoing, we are in the final stages now and if all goes well we could have good news within the next 2 months which is scary in a really good way.

We also hope to get much needed work in our home done this summer - taking walls down - ripping out and replacing kitchen - moving bathroom upstairs - all in all about £30k's worth of work - we got a £25k personal loan out to help pay for this and we pay £445 p/m for the next 5 years to clear that - forgot to mention another £200 p/m goes on that also (wife pays another £200).
    I am insane and have 4 mortgages - total mortgage debt £200k. Target to zero = 10 years! (2030)
  • hildosaver
    Options
    DW has begun her final bit of the IVF process which will result in 2 eggs being implanted - trying not to think about it too much as it just stresses me out but keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that we have some luck.

As for the mortgage busting - I generally stare at my spreadsheet once per week to try and keep the inspiration up to continue. It's been a long journey up until now but there has definately been solid progress - my target for when I turn 50 is still in play and do-able I think. I turn 42 later this year so the time is moving on quickly!

My dream is to be able to at least semi-retire in my early 50's and I certainly do not want to be working past 60 and for that to happen I need to knock these mortgages on the HEAD!
    I am insane and have 4 mortgages - total mortgage debt £200k. Target to zero = 10 years! (2030)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fingers crossed that the eggs take :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hope all works out for you and your wife
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • hildosaver
    Options
    Thanks for the positive wishes!
  • hildosaver
    edited 3 September 2020 at 9:15AM
    Options

I appear to be awful at updating this thread - generally seems to be about once a year at best!

Our overpaying had been much reduced over the past 2 years because we decided to complete much needed work to our home - new kitchen, brought bathroom upstairs, new toilet downstairs - unfortunately this turned out to be much more expensive than we anticipated (£30k budget) and we ended up having to spend around £45k!!! This totally wiped out all our savings and meant we had a pretty big debt to focus on before we could think about OP'ing again - we have done really well though and we now only owe £13000 which we will have paid off in the next 2 years so in the past few months I have started OP'ing again with enthusiasm!! Bonus is that the house is now fantastic and exactly how we wanted it.

I have had a bit of a 'moment of clarity' over this past year which has changed my outlook on life and my journey towards mortgage freedom - this has been due to a mixture of COVID, the loss of several members of my wife's family and a new spreadsheet that I created. Essentially I have come to the conclusion that where I am right now in my career is all I need to reach my targets and I don't 'need' to get promotion or a better job if I don't really want to. This has taken such a huge burden off my shoulders as for the last 20 years or so I've constantly put myself under pressure to be 'doing better' or earning more cash to get mortgages paid off. It's such a relief.

So my new spreadsheet is very simple - it just shows the current mortgage debt for each of our 4 mortgages - shows the amount we are paying off each month from overpayments and then has a total mortgage debt total that I can see reducing each month. What this simple spreadsheet has enabled me to do is calculate pretty accurately just how long our current mortgage debt total (today sitting at £258554) will take to be zero - my aim is to reduce this by a minimum of £1650 per month which would have it cleared in 13 years or so. Our target total monthly reduction is £2000 which if we manage it could enable the debt to be cleared in around 10-11 years from now! What a realization that has been - so this month has been the start of our 10 year countdown.

Mortgage 1: £97994 - OP currently £200 p/m (our home)

Mortgage 2: £67275 - OP currently £250 p/m (rented for £525 p/m)

Mortgage 3: £36280 (interest only) - OP currently £200 p/m (currently empty but will be rented for £450 p/m hopefully in next 3 months)

Mortgage 4: £57445 (Interest only)  - OP will be £400 p/m from this month (rented for £400 p/m)

Current total OP - £1050 p/m

I should have my car paid off in next 2 months which will free up £350 so I intend to increase above by £300 and once we get house number 3 rented out (we are renovating the house a bit) we should have another £400 or so to add on to the OP's so potentially we could OP by £1750 p/m which by my estimation would be an overall reduction of our total mortgage debt of £2400 p/m which if we could sustain this would have our total mortgage debt cleared in.... 9 years!!

This has been a lightbulb moment for me. In 9 years I'll be 52 and the thought of having no mortgages and a rental income coming in is incredible really. It has given me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that all this will have been worth it. The best thing is that through my little spreadsheet my wife has finally seen the light and has committed to OP £400 on her house which will make all the difference.

In other news sadly our IVF was unsuccessful (we tried twice) but we are about to go through the adoption process so fingers crossed we have more luck with that.

• hildosaver
    edited 3 September 2020 at 9:15AM
    Options
    Going to try and update this more regularly to keep the motivation going and also as a record that I can look at over the years to see how far we have come.

We are heading away this weekend in our little campervan to a lovely beach campsite up the north coast of Northern Ireland - hoping the weather improves! Since COVID hit we have used our van quite a lot - we were away to Connemara for 5 days last month which is probably our main holiday this year but it's also great for weekend breaks and it's relatively cheap to do - a typical hard site with electricity is usually £18-20 per night which isn't too bad.

I've become quite good at having no spend days during the week - I'm always making packed lunches and we have a chest freezer that is full of reduced items from the shops so both myself and my wife try and live frugally. I haven't spent any money at all since the weekend.

Our increased OP's went through and overall we are overpaying £200 more this month than we did last month which feels great. Hoping my wife will OP her house £400 also which will bring us up past the magic £1650 reduction figure which is the minimum target from now on. Feels like the beginning of the end of mortgage debt (even though we have 10 years or so to go, it feels achievable).
  • hildosaver
    edited 4 September 2020 at 9:44AM
    Options
    Problem with boiler in one of our houses - thankfully nothing major and has been fixed for about £65. Have been trying to plan more for the 'dream scenario' which for me would be retirement/semi-retirement at 58 and then live 6 months at home and 6 months in Spain. 

At the moment we have nothing in Spain so it's a total pipe dream however I'd adding a few columns to my spreadsheet to include our savings.

Each month I have been saving £200 into a basic savings account - most of this goes on rates bill each September which is normally around £1150. In addition to this myself and my wife between us put £500 per month into another account which pays for our home improvement loan (£450 per month - will be paid off in 2 1/2 years). So my plan for the future includes us continuing to pay £500 into that account once the home loan is paid off and for me to add my usual £200 p/m savings onto that - so £700 p/m savings could be possible on top of our overpayments.

If we are able to sustain this then in 5 years time (which is when realistically we plan to start looking for a property in Spain) we could have £20k saved which we could use towards a deposit. It is a big ask because we are stretched enough as it is however we have been so used to being frugal and counting the pennies that I think we could stick it out.

Personally I need to have goals to work towards because without them I feel a bit helpless and trapped. It's the thought of being able to get out of the rat race and live a quiet life doing the things I enjoy without all the stress of work that keeps me going.
  • hildosaver
    Options
    Had a lovely weekend up at Benone beach - we tried out our wetsuits and they worked great. Did some body boarding on Saturday even though the weather wasn't great and it was a ton of fun.

Did spend a bit of money though as we went out for dinner on Saturday night and also brunch on Sunday so overall spent around £60 or so which is a lot more than we would normally spend. Hopefully won't have an impact on our OP's this month.

Absolutely miserable weather at the moment (have we had a summer??) only makes me want to move to Spain all the more! Which reminds me I really need to get Irish passport sorted out before BREXIT gets implemented in the new year....
  • hildosaver
    Options
    Hit our minimum target of £1666 overall mortgage reduction this month for the first time which was great. We actually managed an overall reduction of £1728 as my wife made only her second ever overpayment on her old house of £400. So delighted she is fully on board with this. 

I'm also hoping to finally pay off my car next month which should free up an additional £300 per month all of which I plan on adding to our overpayments - so £2000 reduction per month is possible! At this rate my 10 years to zero dream could be a reality if we can keep it up!

In other news we finally have been allocated a  social worker today for the adoption so really excited to think that maybe this time next year we will be well on our way hopefully to expanding our family. Very anxious and nervous about it but hopefully it will work out for us.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback