NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back

Options

Comments

• Mosibob
    Options
    Kikashka wrote: »
    I have emailed my employer faithfully but appear to be getting nowhere, hence my post on this site.
    The given reasons for not submitting my form are:
    Staff sickness caused the delay
    They send them to HMRC in bulk
    They are chasing other staff to complete their forms before submitting (this last reply has irritated me, as they never once contacted me to claim a refund so why are they chasing other staff members?)
    Is this correct or do you think I am being treated unfair? and is there anything else can I do to speed up the process?
    Kikashka

There's no reason for your employer to send claims in bulk or wait for other staff to complete forms. Employers can send in as many claim schedules as they like.
  • Worriedaboutmoney_2
    Options
    Update from me. Have today received a letter from HMRC stating I should not have paid NIC's and a refund of £1895.50 will be send via cheque. The tax element is being looked at separately and they will inform me in due course.

I was on a WAT course for 3 years between 2010-2013. I initially wrote to HMRC July 2016 and after 3 months they wrote to inform me that I needed to contact the Trust directly. There have been a lot of delays in the correct info being sent to HMRC but hopefully it should be finalised soon.

I wasn't entitled to claim a bursary, student loan or mileage like some of my fellow students so I definitely was out of pocket during my training as I had to pay for additional childcare costs plus study material/books for the course plus I used my own vehicle for visits I had to do as part of the course.
    Oct 2016 current unsecured debt £14461.31
  • icornish
    icornish Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    My wife was on nurse training under a WAT scheme in 2003 for 4 years. She also worked for the trust 1 day a week (Saturday)
    She claimed child benefit, children's tax credit and working tax credit.

Out of the blue she had and a letter and cheque about Ni refund... and a letter about tax being considered separately. We validated her state pension situation before accepting the cheque.

Again, last week out of the blue she had a mammoth tax refund. Before accepting she spoke to hmrc and we explicitly asked about entitlement to working tax credits and children's tax credits. We were explicitly told these cases were closed and she would not have to repay any of them.
    I've checked the calculations and it seems that because she did extra work hours during school holidays etc she took herself just over the 16 hours a week average for claiming the tax benefits

We had not heard of any of this before receiving the original letter about ni from her trust (which has since merged) and speaking to the hmrc lady they have a large team going through these already on a case by case basis.
    3 Kids, 1 baby, 1 about to be born, 1 lovely wife, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and 6 chickens... 1 big family!:rotfl:
  • DONN76
    Options
    Just wanted to check if anyone from Northern Ireland has been successful with this ? I was advised by a friend that they had heard someone from their Trust who had participated in the regional social work trainee scheme had received a significant refund but weren't able to provide details. I have spoken to other colleagues who availed of this scheme however none were aware of this thread or the information on MSE. can anyone advise?
  • Huckle20
    Options
    I sent off my forms to HR last year. I phoned 3 months after an email enquiringly if the forms had been sent off was not answered. So, I phone. The man tells me they have been busy. Forms haven't gone off..... they have had them 5 months!
    I email again 1 week ago and again no reply ( now this is only my 2 contact in 8 months) so I phone yesterday and the man was basically very rude. Saying the rules are changing and I'm probably not entitled blah blah blah. I only phone to see if they forwarded the paperwork! I didn't expect an insult for a decision that is not even theirs.
    They say they sent it off. So I contacted payroll and they do have some of the information but I wasn't forwarded an application form 1 year ago! Which I should have been.
    Payroll seem to be doing quite well and were very pleasant. However, HR for the trust I am with will receive a complaint regarding this treatment.
  • Cat_H_2
    Cat_H_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Just trying to claim now having completed SCPHN 2011-2012. HR tells me that it's too late as they have submitted their application(bulk I assume).

Thought I'd applied Nov 2016 and expected a long wait but now know I sent application to wrong email address at HR.
    Gutted.
    Can I apply externally or has there been a cut off date from HMRC
    for any application?
  • valeballa82
    Options
    Hi There

Can you please help. I submitted the WAT request in early December 2016 and the Trust I worked for as a Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Pratcitioner is trying not to pay the money back. Unfortunately I did the course in 2014-15 so I cannot apply via the HMRC. I wonder if someone has had the same issue. If yes could you read the email below and advise? What are the points to highlight when replying? Many Thanks in advance for your time.

Email as follow:

Dear Valeria

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your application for a refund of tax under the WAT scheme. This is because of the very large volume of enquiries we have received about the WAT scheme and our limited resources for dealing with these.

We have received fresh advice from HMRC regarding the conditions of the tax exemption, and I am therefore contacting you to request further information to enable us to decide your claim.

HMRC’s advice is that, where the trainee’s duties include a mixture of training and service (for example clinical practice as well as academic studies), and where the service element is more than a minor aspect of the role, the salary paid for undertaking the full range of duties cannot be regarded as scholarship income, and the tax exemption would not apply.

You stated in your application that you undertook work for the Trust during your training course. If some of these duties were service rather than study, and were more than a minor aspect of your role, it is possible that HMRC would take the view that the tax exemption would not apply.

So that we can decide your application correctly in the light of this fresh advice from HMRC, would you kindly supply a copy of your contract and job description for your training placement? We may need to forward these to HMRC for advice before making a decision on your case.

I apologise for this delay in dealing with your application.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Isn't the employers request clear?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What are the points to highlight when replying?
    as below in bold
    So that we can decide your application correctly in the light of this fresh advice from HMRC, would you kindly supply a copy of your contract and job description for your training placement? We may need to forward these to HMRC for advice before making a decision on your case.
    as above in bold
    HMRC’s advice is that, where the trainee’s duties include a mixture of training and service (for example clinical practice as well as academic studies), and where the service element is more than a minor aspect of the role, the salary paid for undertaking the full range of duties cannot be regarded as scholarship income, and the tax exemption would not apply.
    the HMRC rules apply to everyone, if your placement required you to do more work than it did you to do study/class time then your income is a salary for a job, not a bursary for a student
  • coop76_2
    Options
    I was a radiographer and went back to university of Birmingham to study medical ultrasound for 2 years. This was in 2012. My role was as a student sonographer and my clinical duties were all as a student.
    A friend told me she managed to claim this when she studied ultrasound but my Nhs trust has told me I'm not eligible. My payroll office were most rude and unhelpful! Any ideas anyone on what I do next??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure