PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had to use up some Tescos vouchers for a separate budget (wine!) and also needed some cinnamon sticks which I use pretty regularly in pilau rice, spiced plums etc. I was amazed to find three or four spindly looking bits in Tescos own range for £3.25 when the more twiggy looking Indian ones by East End had four times the quantity for just 99p. It pays to shop around even in the same store!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spent £4 yesterday on strawberrys cause DS3 bumped his head so it was to cheer him up, we got 2 punnets because we all love them lol, today will be a nsd
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    £3.46 spent in the last couple of days.
    £1.37 in Lidl on 2 x cartons of fruit juice and a packet of biscuits.
    £2.09 in Coop on milk and bread.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    scotsaver, I've added the Cumberland Pie to our recipe index :beer:
    I keep hearing good things about the 'dinner lady' recipe books

< mutters> I will not go to Amazon, I will not go to Amazon, I will not go to Amazon :D

rosieben - thanks, I've been lucky as managed to get both of these books from Charity shops on different occassions, in fact most of my recipe books are from CS or have been gifts.;)

Dinner tonight is Roast Beef and all the trimmings and pud is a HM Bakewell tart, made some mini ones for this week's Lunchboxes and there was plenty left to make a big one for Pud.:D

Got some rain down here at last so don't need to water the Allotment today.:)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    Having a barbecue today, in spite of the rain! will probably just cook the food indoors, have got my sister and her family and my brother coming over (I live with my parents at the moment with dh and the 3 kiddlies) so quite a few to feed.. we have done some marinated chicken (used a bag of the 2.99 frozen chicken from Mr T's and had the marinade in) and I am supplying the lettuce 50p from A!di cucumber 39p and was also used in our scrummy blt's yesterday) and a tin of sweetcorn....mum is supplying burgers and sausages and more salad and sis is bringing sausages and stuff to make a potato salad....I am also going to try out the 25p tortillas I got from T's to see if they are any good......so all in all a pretty cheap sunday meal for all of us...In the past I would have had to go out and get in a load more stuff, like pop for the kids (they are quite happy with milk/squash) and loads of nibbly bits plus extra barbecue meats etc. but you just end up with loads of leftovers that dh and the boys scoff during the evening!!

The twins are being good at the moment,they are watching monsters inc on my telly lying on the bed with their teddies ...sooo cute :)

Happy Sunday all
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with the bbq - it's chucking it down here. I put my washing out earlier as the sun was out - 30 min later I had to run out and gather it up again. So annoying as I love to line dry my washing.
    I've been quite good with grocery shopping the last couple of days and OH is away for the next three evenings which means cheaper meals as I eat more cheaply! (It's also cheaper to feed one rather than two). Have had a good look in my freezer and have the makings of loads of meals in there so I shouldn't need to buy much more than fruit and veg for a couple of weeks hopefully. It's just as well as I need to buy a new train ticket and that costs about £240 a month! Honestly, they keep on about us using public transport and then raise the train ticket price by inflation + 6%!!!!
    I have been doing my knitting today - I'm still pretty new at it but at least it keeps me away from online shopping!
    Thanks for the recipes - I must keep a look out for that dinner lady cookbook in the charity shops.
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    By the way, has anyone used e-cloths? Someone recommended them to me the other day - they said they were pricy to buy initially but ended up saving loads of money as you don't need any cleaners with them (just water). I wondered if anyone had tried them and would recommend them or is it just a gimmick?
  • Cookiee
    Cookiee Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Hello my lovely MSE forum peoples :D

Long story cut short ... My hubbie is currently appealing ESA and until they acknowledge his appeal we have no money for the next 2/3 weeks.

This means that I am going to have to use my credit card. I am gutted becuase I have just managed to pay it off after 10 months paying it. :(

Now my lovely people ... I am hoping you will be able to help with recepies, shopping tips etc to help me cope with our shopping.

I hope to spend less than £30 over the next 3 weeks and then start the slog of paying it off again ...

My situation is ... I have 2 cats (they have half tin each a day and biscuits) I dont eat cheese and dont like pasta. Hubbie on the other hand will eat anything except curries. Our local "big 4" is ASDA and as a push Netto's but in past experiences they were more expensive than ASDA :eek:

So lovely people ... how do I make £25/30 last a week :beer:
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easy! Check out the recipes on the cheap-family-recipes.org website. If, as they say, it's possible feed a family of four on £100 a month you should be able to feed just the two of you and the pusscats on the same amount
  • Carolyntia
    Carolyntia Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Cookiee

If you list all the stuff you've got in your cupboards, fridge and freezer already then I'm sure lots of people will be able to make suggestions on how to eek it out :)
    As my dad always used to say 'Just because you've got the money doesn't mean to say you have to spend it all at once'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure