Royal Mail Insured Compensation For Loss

Options
2»

Comments

• CinemaProjectror
    Options
    ... to update on this after 3 months of communication with the Royal mail they refused to pay any compensation at all, not even the Postage on my lost item to a customer ... reason why? they sent a letter to my customer to verify they had not received it, even though the tracking showed no delivery, the customer never replied to the Royal mail, for the Royal mail this means they received and my claim is bogus! Thank you for a very bad experience & loss of money!!! Absolutely disgraceful.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ... to update on this after 3 months of communication with the Royal mail they refused to pay any compensation at all, not even the Postage on my lost item to a customer ... reason why? they sent a letter to my customer to verify they had not received it, even though the tracking showed no delivery, the customer never replied to the Royal mail, for the Royal mail this means they received and my claim is bogus! Thank you for a very bad experience & loss of money!!! Absolutely disgraceful.

It does sound suspicious that the customer never replied to RM. Although it is quite possible the customer just couldn't be bothered to reply.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • pip10
    pip10 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I'm reading this thread with interest as I was about to make a claim for lost postal items from an eBay sale.

I am a personal customer. Are the rules that you are discussing (that you can only claim for how much the item cost you) the same for personal customers?

Secondly, if so, is it worth asking the recipient to claim instead of me? It's an eBay claim and I'm thinking they will be able to claim for how much the item cost them to purchase? And therefore they can claim what I can't!?

Thank you.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pip10 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm reading this thread with interest as I was about to make a claim for lost postal items from an eBay sale.

I am a personal customer. Are the rules that you are discussing (that you can only claim for how much the item cost you) the same for personal customers?

Secondly, if so, is it worth asking the recipient to claim instead of me? It's an eBay claim and I'm thinking they will be able to claim for how much the item cost them to purchase? And therefore they can claim what I can't!?

Thank you.

When you say personal. An item you owned and no longer have use for,so sold?
    You should get the sale amount.
    As for the recipient 'claiming'. How do you think that would work if the buyer opens a dispute in ebay?
  • pip10
    pip10 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    When you say personal. An item you owned and no longer have use for,so sold?
    You should get the sale amount.
    As for the recipient 'claiming'. How do you think that would work if the buyer opens a dispute in ebay?

Personal in that I'm not a business seller - I'm just selling used items I no longer want. Thanks hopefully I'll get the sale amount and don't lose out!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pip10 wrote: »

Thank you.
    If something goes missing you will have to refund the buyer before claiming from RM who will not consider refunds until a few weeks have passed.

Asking the buyer to claim is definitely not a good idea and almost guaranteed to provoke poor feedback.

As has been said your ebay sale would provide evidence of value for second hand items as you are selling for less than the original cost.
  • CinemaProjectror
    Options
    From November 2017 to March 2018 - my compensation for the lost item was finally case closed with a poor result for me, the Royal mail customer. After months of different emails, and continuing repeating the same story to different persons and even getting the Royal independent complaints board involved ( who were very helpful ) , because i had no receipt of my purchase, (not the sold transaction from my business,) they would not compensate anything for the item, and at one point they were happy to forget the postage costs even though i had all the receipts for but luckily after even more complaining they did refund finally the £4.40 for postage and case closed, absolute nightmare, and shame on them for a very bad customer service experience, the time to deal with it, making me continuously chase them , hoping i would forget it, and then even , okay i'm at fault for not having a receipt for the item i bought, but the postage ????? i have to fight for that even though i have all the receipts and proof it is lost???? Now, I recommend Hermes that i'm using - they cover the sold price of the item, sign for and no quibble on refunds, and pretty quick too, with an online chat service which is very friendly and helpful. Also i now carry a receipt book with me for private purchases!!!! Thank you for a very poor treatment from the Royal Mail after 6 years of loyalty, spending sometimes up to £1000 a month on postage for you , i'm small fry so you're not bothered, fine Hermes is happy to have my small business :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure