Nectar card holders lose points after 'technical glitch'

Options
Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 25 May 2017 at 4:29PM in Shop but don't drop
A "technical glitch' has resulted in some Sainsbury's shoppers seeing points disappear from their Nectar account. If you're a Nectar cardholder, check your account now - though Nectar has promised the mistake will be fixed and any lost points restored..
Read the full story:
'Nectar card holders lose points after 'technical glitch'''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This probably explains the relatively generous 500 Nectar points for £20 spend voucher I got this afternoon.
  • prixon
    prixon Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah did notice this - I collected a few nectar points in Sainsburys on 11th May and my till receipt confirmed the new increased points balance. However these points have never appeared on my nectar balance online/in the app (although subsequent usage in Sainsburys appears to have been picked up OK). I don't have the receipt any longer so can't prove the discrepancy, and it is only pennies worth anyway, so hoping that it will just be sorted out in due course.
  • crispydragonfly
    Options
    I was caught up in the missing Nectar points glitch on 12th May and nearly 6 weeks later, I still haven't received my points.

I have contacted Nectar on various occasions, but every time they ask for proof, then promise the points will be added within a week, but they never are. I have to start from the beginning every time, despite having a case number allotted to me.

I m over 2000 points missing, which is substantial and I am now not sure how to proceed.
    To err is human, but to really mess things up you need a computer.
  • maisie06
    maisie06 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Hi...I wonder if anyone else has recently had this problem? On a google search the results are all around 2014/2015...

It seems my nectar points have been "stolen" I had over £90 on my card saved and I redeemed a few of these last week, on next checking my balance 5 days later my account was in "debit" to the tune of just over £10....so I just thought "computer error" checked my nectar account online and sure enough I could see the £10 I had redeemed myself in a sainsburys store and then another transaction redeeming the last of my points plus more, now how the hell can that happen as I thought you couldn't redeem any more points than is on the card for a start?

I rand Nectar who were totally disinterested and practically accused me of lending my card to someone else as that "is the only possible way for this to happen"...I have NOT let anyone else use the card and DH doesn't even do the shopping!! They then questioned my using the card twice in the same store on the same day - ermmmm yes... I did a weekly shop then went back later to buy some nice hanging baskets I'd spotted as they were nicer and cheaper than the B&Q ones and I could redeem some points. But in NO WAY did I redeem £90 worth of points on a £19 shop....ididots.

I am wondering if the problem has arisen through the self service till I used? I have tried talking to sainsburys - not interested either. So it's looking like collecting the points was a waste of time and although not "real" money it's very annoying as I was saving the rest for some xmas treats. Has anyone else got their points back after this fraud?

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that if they (nectar) wipe some large points balances they don't have to pay out so much...makes me wonder. For me I will never sign up to a loyalty card again..I tend to use sainsburys as I pass it on the right side of the road on my way home so uber convienient...but I have plenty of other stores within easy reach so although they won't care I won't be shopping in sainsburys anymore. rant over.:mad:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you ever used triple or 5x point when spending £x and scanned them when you not spent £x?

They do scan, but Nectar can see you not spent the £x, they have every right to knock the points off.

This is what my friends who work for Sainsburys have said.

Are you sure your card hasn't been used in fraud
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maisie06 wrote: »
    ....ididots.

........ :rotfl:
  • maisie06
    maisie06 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    No - I have never used any vouchers that are not applicable...I have never given my card to another person, it never leaves my purse. It is fraud and I'm quite gutted to have lost the points as £90 odd quid towards the christmas shop is very welcome. Still Sainsburys have lost my custom now.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you not see where or how the points were used eg used in a certain store ?

Was your password easy to guess or one you use for another site ?

No, nectar point balances aren't wiped if they are too large.
  • kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2017 at 8:49PM
    Options
    Points fraudulently redeemed.

Found out that yesterday my nectar points had been redeemed in an Argos stores 150 miles away. It wasn't me as my card is still in my wallet and never used a key fob card.
    I suspect it's a clone/hacked account as my substantial (Hundreds of pounds) balance was redeemed in one go leaving just £2 so the perpetrator knew how much to spend!

With only one level of security (no pin or ID needed) I won't be accumulating a hefty balance again.

I've been assured from Nectar that I will get my points back within 28 days..... let's hope so.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    maisie06 wrote: »
    Hi...I wonder if anyone else has recently had this problem? On a google search the results are all around 2014/2015...

It seems my nectar points have been "stolen" I had over £90 on my card saved and I redeemed a few of these last week, on next checking my balance 5 days later my account was in "debit" to the tune of just over £10....so I just thought "computer error" checked my nectar account online and sure enough I could see the £10 I had redeemed myself in a sainsburys store and then another transaction redeeming the last of my points plus more, now how the hell can that happen as I thought you couldn't redeem any more points than is on the card for a start?

I rand Nectar who were totally disinterested and practically accused me of lending my card to someone else as that "is the only possible way for this to happen"...I have NOT let anyone else use the card and DH doesn't even do the shopping!! They then questioned my using the card twice in the same store on the same day - ermmmm yes... I did a weekly shop then went back later to buy some nice hanging baskets I'd spotted as they were nicer and cheaper than the B&Q ones and I could redeem some points. But in NO WAY did I redeem £90 worth of points on a £19 shop....ididots.

I am wondering if the problem has arisen through the self service till I used? I have tried talking to sainsburys - not interested either. So it's looking like collecting the points was a waste of time and although not "real" money it's very annoying as I was saving the rest for some xmas treats. Has anyone else got their points back after this fraud?

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that if they (nectar) wipe some large points balances they don't have to pay out so much...makes me wonder. For me I will never sign up to a loyalty card again..I tend to use sainsburys as I pass it on the right side of the road on my way home so uber convienient...but I have plenty of other stores within easy reach so although they won't care I won't be shopping in sainsburys anymore. rant over.:mad:
    I have a Nectar card linked to Sainsbury’s etc and just had 8000 points taken via a store in London, I was in West Yorkshire at the time! .... and not even shopping. Nectar’s fraud dept are looking at it. Anyone else had any issues with Nectar recently..... check your balance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure