Ebay help please

Options
Hoping someone could give me some advice please, as I am new to selling on Ebay. I sold an item, for collection only and the buyer arranged collection for the following day. I wasn't personally here when they came to collect but my OH was, they paid in cash (£10) then decided that it wouldn't fit in their car as it was too big. They stated that they would return the following Saturday to collect it, when they would have more room in the car. They did not return, I have messaged them to ask when they are coming to collect it but have had no reply as yet. From what my OH has said, it seems likely that they did not really understand what they were buying. My question is what do I do now, as they have paid for it, it doesnt belong to me anymore but I still have it. Can I send a message something along the lines of giving them 7 days and saying if I haven't heard from them in that time I will relist it and they are welcome to come and get their money back? would I need to cancel the sale somehow?

Second question I sold another item, just low value, sent it by Royal mail, the day it should of arrived the buyer sent me a message saying "excellent service, thank you" I therefore assumed it had arrived, buyer is now claiming they have not received it. It wasn't tracked it is only low value, it is just annoying, is this a scam?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I take it you still have the £10?

If you do, then yes, do as you thought....tell them they can get their money back but give a timeline.

For your second issue - how did you send the item, specifically was it parcel or large letter/letter and did you get a receipt?
  • Greenfingers3
    Options
    I take it you still have the £10?

If you do, then yes, do as you thought....tell them they can get their money back but give a timeline.

For your second issue - how did you send the item, specifically was it parcel or large letter/letter and did you get a receipt?

Thank you for your response, yes I still have the £10, good idea about the timeline, what do you reckon 14 days?

second issue it went as second class small parcel, I have the proof of posting so I think I will be able to claim against RM as it is under the £20 limit.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Thank you for your response, yes I still have the £10, good idea about the timeline, what do you reckon 14 days?

second issue it went as second class small parcel, I have the proof of posting so I think I will be able to claim against RM as it is under the £20 limit.

First item - good news you still have the money. Give them a timescale and think no more of it. 14 days sounds reasonable.

Second item - check your Post Office receipt - you should have a long series of numbers/letters which will be a POD (proof of delivery). That should show if the item has been delivered or not.

Does it have that on there?
  • Greenfingers3
    Options
    First item - good news you still have the money. Give them a timescale and think no more of it. 14 days sounds reasonable.

Second item - check your Post Office receipt - you should have a long series of numbers/letters which will be a POD (proof of delivery). That should show if the item has been delivered or not.

Does it have that on there?

Thank you, you are a star, I didn't realise that the numbers on the receipt actually provided tracking, I have checked and it has been delivered (the day he sent the message!!) so I guess now I can submit that tracking number to ebay and it will be sorted?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Thank you, you are a star, I didn't realise that the numbers on the receipt actually provided tracking, I have checked and it has been delivered (the day he sent the message!!) so I guess now I can submit that tracking number to ebay and it will be sorted?

Sort of.

Sadly eBay ask you to submit the POD when you dispatch (to be eligible for their protection) I am guessing you maybe didn't do that?.....all is not lost in some sense,

I would message and explain you've checked with RM and thankfully it's arrived as per x date and x time (Screenshot attached) all should be good.

Fingers crossed.

Next time (add those long numbers to ebay when you mark it as dispatched).
  • Greenfingers3
    Options
    Sort of.

Sadly eBay ask you to submit the POD when you dispatch (to be eligible for their protection) I am guessing you maybe didn't do that?.....all is not lost in some sense,

I would message and explain you've checked with RM and thankfully it's arrived as per x date and x time (Screenshot attached) all should be good.

Fingers crossed.

Next time (add those long numbers to ebay when you mark it as dispatched).

Thank you very much, I will do that next time, I am still learning
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Thank you very much, I will do that next time, I am still learning

We all are!

Hopefully the buyer is not pulling a fast one and your tracking and his message crossed.

TBH I would hope that you could let him know the parcel now shows as delivered and hopefully that's the end of that.

But yes, next time, use that free POD and when you mark the item as despatched, add the numbers to the ebay system. Then you will be fine and dandy!
  • Greenfingers3
    Options
    We all are!

Hopefully the buyer is not pulling a fast one and your tracking and his message crossed.

TBH I would hope that you could let him know the parcel now shows as delivered and hopefully that's the end of that.

But yes, next time, use that free POD and when you mark the item as despatched, add the numbers to the ebay system. Then you will be fine and dandy!

Only thing is he has opened a INR case so what happens with that? I think he is trying to pull a fast one as it says it was delivered on 4 July, same day as he sent me a message complimenting me on my excellent service.
    Thank you
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Only thing is he has opened a INR case so what happens with that? I think he is trying to pull a fast one as it says it was delivered on 4 July, same day as he sent me a message complimenting me on my excellent service.
    Thank you

It depends.

If he is a normal buyer and messaged you before the item arrived (ie it is a bonafide case but the item has now arrived) - then he is likely to ignore the case now and let it time out.

If he is a naughty buyer and messaged you after it arrived knowing full well you hadn't added the POD to the dispatch, then you will have to wait until he has the balls to escalate it.

If it were me, I would message him (as above) and add the tracking to the INR case.

Then I would perhaps give it a day or two (depending on how close you are to the 8 days from opening the case) and see what happens. If he escalates, then eBay will find in his favour and give the refund - your best bet would be then to call, plead complete Innocence (as is the truth) and ask them if they would give you some slack.
  • Greenfingers3
    Options
    It depends.

If he is a normal buyer and messaged you before the item arrived (ie it is a bonafide case but the item has now arrived) - then he is likely to ignore the case now and let it time out.

If he is a naughty buyer and messaged you after it arrived knowing full well you hadn't added the POD to the dispatch, then you will have to wait until he has the balls to escalate it.

If it were me, I would message him (as above) and add the tracking to the INR case.

Then I would perhaps give it a day or two (depending on how close you are to the 8 days from opening the case) and see what happens. If he escalates, then eBay will find in his favour and give the refund - your best bet would be then to call, plead complete Innocence (as is the truth) and ask them if they would give you some slack.

I have now messaged him like you said and I have added the tracking to the INR. He didn't message me about it not arriving at all just opened the INR today, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for all your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure