PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• mollythewestie
    mollythewestie Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 January 2018 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I'm joining late to the party, but this challenge sounds right up my street.

Tonight I am making the southern-style chicken from Tom Kerridge's book/TV programme "Lose weight for good" (Recipe here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/southern-style_chicken_09457 )

I have the chicken in the buttermilk marinade already, and will serve with tomato and red onion salsa and either sweetcorn fritters or cornbread, I haven't decided which yet!
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm joining late to the party, but this challenge sounds right up my street.

Tonight I am making the southern-style chicken from Tom Kerridge's book/TV programme "Lose weight for good" (Recipe here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/southern-style_chicken_09457 )

I have the chicken in the buttermilk marinade already, and will serve with tomato and red onion salsa and either sweetcorn fritters or cornbread, I haven't decided which yet!

Oh I saw that in the good food mag this month. It looked gorgeous so Im looking forward to hearing what you think.

pub lunch for me today. Picked up a big piece of smoked haddock from Morrisons today so will be making an omelette Arnold Bennett tomorrow which is new to me :) Rest of the haddock can go in a fish pie (not new to me :) )
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,can I join in?

I love cooking, love new recipes and love cook books.

But I recently read something like the average person only cooks 1 or 2 recipes from a cookbook and that you are doing well if you cook 5+ and as I have a habit of collecting cook books and just reading them I have decided I am allowed no more until I have cooked 5+ recipes from each of them.

This does present a problem because my OH is a very fussy eater and most of our dinners are very boring (to me) meals because he doesn't like many things. Also he eats some meat and hates fish and I'm a pescetarian.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Due to dietary issues, I won't add feta to mine but the girls will enjoy it, along with the chorizo. Fresh chillies are a good idea as well :)

It's hard to decide whether to be true to the original recipe (that Mr Singleton said was great) or to tweak it.
    Ho! Hum!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Hello,can I join in?

I love cooking, love new recipes and love cook books.

But I recently read something like the average person only cooks 1 or 2 recipes from a cookbook and that you are doing well if you cook 5+ and as I have a habit of collecting cook books and just reading them I have decided I am allowed no more until I have cooked 5+ recipes from each of them.

This does present a problem because my OH is a very fussy eater and most of our dinners are very boring (to me) meals because he doesn't like many things. Also he eats some meat and hates fish and I'm a pescetarian.

Course you can Florence .....welcome :)

Sounds like you have an interesting challenge with your other half...maybe start gently :) Could you get him to chose some meals from the books?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Nothing new for the next couple of days ...tonight is leftovers from last nights use of the leftovers. Must be great to just cook something eat it all and have something totally different the next day...its a concept i have forgotten :D

Out to dinner tomorrow so next attempt will be Weds when Im looking at doing my own Lamb Tikka Tandoori....not sure it will be worth the hassle compared to buying a paste but we shall see.

Home made tikka is so much nicer then paste, plus you can add more kick or less depending on taste. It does take a while but I double up on the dry spices and keep them in a jar for use another time and I now cheat and buy frozen garlic and ginger
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    My new wok arrived this morning, so I have just ordered a Ken Hom recipe book, for a few stir fry recipes :)

Can I offer a word of caution with Ken Hom , ignore when he says salt

I love kens recipes, but when I fist started to use his books and followed the recipes to the latter, we were poisoned by the salt so now if there is soy sauce as an ingredient, the salt is left out

But then we don't use much salt at all so it may just be us
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Can I offer a word of caution with Ken Hom , ignore when he says salt

I love kens recipes, but when I fist started to use his books and followed the recipes to the latter, we were poisoned by the salt so now if there is soy sauce as an ingredient, the salt is left out

But then we don't use much salt at all so it may just be us

Thanks suki. I will bear that in mind as we're not big salt users either :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    I've just looked through the Ken Hom book I bought and will be making the spicy stir fried mushrooms today, as we have those ingredients in stock. The only changes are: reducing the salt, as per suki's comments. It asks for a teaspoon but as there is soy sauce in the ingredients, I will miss it out. It also lists two teaspoons of sugar, which I will also leave out as sugar can make me ill :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I made this last night https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/01/05/aubergine-and-kale-satay-30p-vg-v-df-gf/
    The only changes I made were to use fresh chilli and fresh kale which I don't think impacted on the end result.
    Feedback: I didn't really enjoy it, it was edible but no more than that. I found it lacked texture and taste. IMHO it would have worked better with waxy potatoes or meaty mushrooms rather than aubergines with some sweet peppers added in near the end of cooking for some bite. Taste-wise it was very bland and I ended up adding quite a bit of tabasco and lemon juice to liven it a bit. On a positive it was filling and easy to make. I had with rice which was fine. The website serves 2-4, I'd say 2 adults easily but not more than that unless as a side dish which it might work better as.
    Would I make it again? Not as per the recipe but I do like the idea so might use it but "do my own thing" to liven it up a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure