Student Loans Means Testing

Options
Hi

My partner is about to go to Uni at age 37. We live together but are not married. On the student loans site it requests information on my earnings, to assess his possible loan, but it says that same sex partner's income does not have to be declared. We are not Same sex parnters. Is this reverse descrimination? How would I go about challenging it?

Thanks

Digs

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hi Digs I sympathise with you but I don't think you will get anywhere, I have tried and failed to get them to look at individual circumstances.

They have sneaked a few changes in this year, I have been caught with the one where you now have to declare step parents earnings but not student's other parent.

I am now caught in a situation I have been determined to avoid for the last 16 years, my ex doesn't take responsibilty for his children and my husband has already taken responsibility for his own children going to college.

My son can only get 75% student loan based on an assumption that my husband should be contributing to his upkeep. My ex doesn't have to contribute anything.

My husband has taken more responsibility for my children than their dad and he is not unwilling to contribute but it winds me up.

I am used to the system biting me on the bum but we are talking about a loan that has to be paid back.

I will have to make some cuts in my spending to make up the difference or my son will not be able to afford to go to college.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport