Technology that you avoid

Options
buglawton
buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I have a list of things Ive so far intuitively dodged. The list might shorten 10 years after the manufacturers show they truly understand the issues.

My list

Smart meters
Keyless cars
Smart home control
Smart TVs (streaming boxes are fine)
Phones without earphone socket
Solar panels

Anyone else got a list?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 July 2018 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Similar to yours...

Smart Meters
    Solar Panels
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Banking apps on mobile devices

But, I have a "keyless" car that works impeccably, and a Smart TV, ditto. I do apply manual locking to the car if I leave it for a long period, though (just a precaution).

I'm interested in Home Automation generally, but the only thing I presently have is a home-made intelligent timer switch that has a calendar of sunset times for switching on a lamp at the correct time. (That works well, too). I have some bits & pieces to do more, but just haven't got around to it.

I suppose the thing is that I don't believe in technology simply for its own sake, or because it's "cool". It has to address a genuine need and it has to do it without introducing additional problems or being hard to use.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I dont avoid anything if I have a need for it and I can afford it I get it. The only caveat will be if its a technology thats made by a company that I have a feeling will not support it properly then I would not buy it.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I avoid electricity, the internal combustion engine, and the Internet.

Don't trust these new fangled inventions.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Beware of toasters trying to take over the world! :eek: ;)
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I don't believe in technology simply for its own sake, or because it's "cool". It has to address a genuine need and it has to do it without introducing additional problems or being hard to use.

This, in a nutshell....

It's long been a bugbear of mine that tech has a major tendency to be over-used by the general populous at the behest of the companies that want to profit from it, with the added bonus (for the companies) that when this tech breaks down, it costs an arm and a leg to fix it - cars being the typical example of this.

In most cases, this over-use leads to the "dumbing-down" of many many aspects of life, and then we wonder why the general standard of intelligence seems to be rapidly diminishing....

...and I'm a techie!!

rant over.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Used effectively, technology is great and it has given us lots of really good stuff that we now take for granted such as mobile phones (for call purposes), the internet and satellite TV.

However as useful as mobile phones are, the number of people I see who are staring at their phone while crossing a road is scary, particularly when its obvious they haven't looked before crossing...

I don't jump on technology as soon as it comes out, I usually wait until either its matured or I have a need for it, not necessarily a want. I mean when my TV dies it will probably be replaced with a Smart TV but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a Smart TV just because they are available to buy.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Used effectively, technology is great and it has given us lots of really good stuff that we now take for granted such as mobile phones (for call purposes), the internet and satellite TV.

However as useful as mobile phones are, the number of people I see who are staring at their phone while crossing a road is scary, particularly when its obvious they haven't looked before crossing...

I don't jump on technology as soon as it comes out, I usually wait until either its matured or I have a need for it, not necessarily a want. I mean when my TV dies it will probably be replaced with a Smart TV but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a Smart TV just because they are available to buy.

I remember seeing an article recently about when the Sony Walkman came out and some states in America banned people for using them when crossing the street. You could get 15 days in jail for using them.

We have to guard against becoming old and set in our ways when new tech arrives. If people use it then there is a benefit plus it keeps pushing things forward.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have more than half of the things in your list without any significant issue (although the smart meter has become rather less smart since switching supplier). The other things I don't have because I don't need them at the moment, but if I do feel they would be useful in the future I wouldn't worry about getting them, after doing my due diligence on the selected product.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I usually buy Tech as it comes, mainly useful stuff. I quite like browsing Kickstarter and have benefited from some early release tech.
    If people didn't do this, then you probably wouldn't have some of the more innovative stuff and wouldn't have the opportunity to wait for it to 'mature'.
    I must admit that sometimes it's a pure want as opposed to a need.:o
    I have automation in the home (lights, TV, heating).
    My car is full of tech and surprisingly, I've used it all.
    My TV has all the latest features and standards.
    I use contactless payments via a ring or my phone.
    All my music is streamed on demand to wherever I want it. (Probably one of the best advancements yet). As are any Movies etc.
    I have a flagship phone, which I got at a discount, and it will last me two years, by which time I'll have saved enough for another. It will then be passed on to younger relatives.
    Not sure why you would necessarily avoid a phone without a headphone jack. I have one in mine but use Bluetooth earphones, so it's never used.
    I would like to add that I only indulge in what I can afford and save into my 'Tech fund' on a regular basis..
    It has backfired on occasions....I bought a Windows phone and still think it's the best phone OS. My Nokia is still hanging in there, with minimal support, as an emergency phone/sat nav...:D
    As the thread is actually about what we avoid.....I don't have a smart meter, as it offers me no advantages and it's really bugging the supplier that I don't/won't have one.:)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even for the adverts for voice-controlled assistants they apparently can't think of a practical use. I prefer to be about a decade behind the cutting edge and wait for the early adopters to pay for the beta testing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure