PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much should you offer below the asking price?

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Be careful with the 'what it's worth to you' as people's emotions are tied up in this and really it's worth what the valuation comes back as.
    However, it also depends whether you're buying for cash and how long you intend to stay there, or indeed, on the planet.

I might nowadays pay over the odds for a property with some unique selling point I had an emotional affinity with. This happens so rarely that it would be worth it from my POV.

If someone can afford it, why not?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I'm assuming you are not buying in Scotland, where they expect offers above the asking price!
  • lozrob01
    Options
    I’m sure it varies and depends on factors, but what is a polite % to knock off an asking price? Is it 5%? 10%?

What should I look out for in order to justify knocking the price down

I was a first time buyer and my house was on the market for £425k. My first offer was £400k and after 2 more increases I was pushed over ask and ended up getting an offer accepted at £430,500. Don't forget, you can increase your offer if needed but coming down doesn't do much for the vendor!

I am glad I offered considerably less than the ask figure initially as it gave me room to come up in the negotiation.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    initial and quick offer was 15%, it didn`t help that I was the first viewer. A genuine cash buyer. Refused, as expected. I went up late afternoon, in 2 hops and ended up 6% less than asking, which was actially less than I was initially wanting it for. Good result for both of us, no chain, only vendor and me and both of us are commited.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Market is massively different now though, many people are going to have to take what they can get if they ever want to move.

You obviously don't live where I live then ;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2018 at 9:19AM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    However, it also depends whether you're buying for cash and how long you intend to stay there, or indeed, on the planet.

I might nowadays pay over the odds for a property with some unique selling point I had an emotional affinity with. This happens so rarely that it would be worth it from my POV.

If someone can afford it, why not?

I would tend to this viewpoint - because I'm now anticipating a "shorter stay on the planet" as Dave put it:rotfl: (being in my 60's) and wouldnt want to move again if I could help it.

So what I offered would boil down to whether:
    - I couldnt really afford what I wanted and was being optimistic as to whether I might manage to get it for less than what I had figured out was a fair price (which may or may not match the asking price). Part of that would mean ruling out any house for sure that I'd have to knock more than 10% off or I literally couldnt manage it

- Or I could afford what I wanted and it was down to whether I was prepared to be "ripped off" if need be to get a house I particularly wanted. To me that would mean a house in a very restricted area of a city AND a pretty particular style AND I wouldn't have to do much to it (ie it was modern enough in the first place and the kitchen and bathroom were already my taste - not hard, as my standard is pretty much guaranteed to range somewhere between 5 years ago and 10 years in the future and is pretty "standard" taste).

For a "once in a lifetime" house/location combination I would pay whatever it took - IF I had the money (and that's the big "if":cool:). It would be one of the rare occasions in my life where I "got competitive" to make sure and certain I was the one that got whatever-it-is.

Yep - I'm with Dave on the (my own) USP front. It would be so nice if a house gave the chance to make few (if any) compromises/trade-offs.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    3.1415926%
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My last house I got for somewhere between 8-9% off. My current house I got for around 2% less. Another I was offering on wouldn't even go to just over 1% under!

Different areas, different market, different sellers. You can't really predict, only form your own evidence and try. Some will always want more for their property than others. They wait for that one person to fall in love with it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Market is massively different now though, many people are going to have to take what they can get if they ever want to move.

Thats interesting. So then , according to you there must have been a time when sellers were able to command their price , or it wouldn't have been different to now, when they cant (according to you)

Because I dont ever remember you posting anything except that prices are "now" at a peak or falling.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    I’m sure it varies and depends on factors, but what is a polite % to knock off an asking price? Is it 5%? 10%?

What should I look out for in order to justify knocking the price down

You should ignore the asking price altogether and bid according to comparables nearby.

The asking price may be delusional. No need for you to reinforce the delusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure