Is it normal for a high st bank to refuse to exchange bank notes ?

Options

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I actually like £5 notes, and go to a machine that will dispense 1 or 2 notes for me. I do not carry much cash nowadays, there really is no need for it except for small cash purchases on Market Days in my town. I have a contactless card for larger purchases.

On the very rare occasions that I need a lot of cash, I either go to my branch, or to an ATM which I know will dispense £20 notes.

I think your question has been very comprehensively covered in this thread now.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    In this country they're called "cashiers".

No; the Barclays ATM had dispensed the money you asked for.

In this country they're called Cash Machines;)
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »

Not always they're not, it depends on the particular bank. Here in Yorkshire they're often referred to as minibanks, which is, or at least was, Yorkshire Bank's name for them.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Not always they're not, it depends on the particular bank. Here in Yorkshire they're often referred to as minibanks, which is, or at least was, Yorkshire Bank's name for them.

I know that :) Cash Machine, Mini Bank, Hole in the wall, Cash Point etc It was intended as a retort to the poster who took exception to the word 'teller' or 'human teller' but was happy to use the acronym for Automated 'Teller' Machine.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    High street Banking, especially that branch, with its luxury seating and decor, is meant to be a customer focused industry,

That says it all really. Non-customer complaining about service that he has neither paid or employed them to give.
    I personally find the idea of "luxury seating and decor" in a bank to be hilarious, having worked in one it was a little more Argos Value than Harrods.

Back in my banking days, they ripped out the beautiful wood panelling, removed the large ornate statue of the bank logo (actually it was multiple versions of out date but still obvious). Covered up the ornate fireplace. Lowered the high ceilings. Removed all the furniture. Some of which would have had resale value in an antique shop. Proper wooden desks with leather chairs for the managers etc. Replaced with cheap furniture and cheap fittings. I pop in sometimes and it has had several more "updates" and each time seems to see less spent on the fittings and furniture. Today, it looks more like a temporary pop up shop in an empty unit waiting to be filled. Sort of sums up how the bank itself changed from the 80s to what it is today.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    The last time I exchanged notes at a bank - when I wanted one of the new tenners whenever that was - I was asked if I banked there and was then asked to show my card. Fine.

I don't know. If a bank's quiet it seems a bit churlish to turn away someone who wants to exchange a small number of notes, but then I don't know how many such requests they might get in a day and what the costs involved might be. Banks these days like to do all they can to avoid serving their customers face to face so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised they don't want to deal with non-customers.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    When I worked in a bank the cashiers till system was more complicated than I ever imagined.

If you wanted to do any transaction it kept a running total of all the notes and denominations in the till, Whats come in and whats gone out.

Simply chucking you 2 £20's and taking 4 £5's would require a transaction to be process so the till could balance at the end of the day. Without being a customer there is no-one to note this transaction against or if there is an error no-one to contact to rectify against an account (IF they missed 1 note to you or overpaid you) Also if your notes were fake etc etc etc.

Long and short is with modern day till systems & regulations it's not worth them doing these transactions and as a non-customer I don't really think you have grounds to moan.

You wouldn't kick off at Tesco for not changing the bread that Sainsburys gave you. Money is a product to banks and they treat it like one.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    In this country they're called "cashiers".
    The money I paid in to my RBS account in branch today is itemised in the app as a 'Teller Transaction'.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    Options
    Simply chucking you 2 £20's and taking 4 £5's would require a transaction to be process so the till could balance at the end of the day

Sorry but I’m in a pedantic mood. This would be good business for the bank but it ain’t gonna balance.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    The money I paid in to my RBS account in branch today is itemised in the app as a 'Teller Transaction'.

The way Americanisms are creeping into our language is not great.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure