PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

end of tenancy carpet replacement quote

Options
Hi All,

The end of Tenancy was on 23rd June 2018.
There is burnt mark in the main bedroom carpet.
This was caused by my Iron box.
The landlord wants to replace carpet. The carpet was new when I moved into the house.
I have lived in the property for 2.5 years. So the carpet is now 2.5 years old.

The quote they received to replace the carpet in main bedroom is £414 .
And the landlord ask me to pay 80 % of that amount which is £340.

Please advice what is the legitimate amount I need to pay is 80% is reasonable.

Cheers,
Sajeev

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I find that reasonable if the burn is visible easily in a prominent place

Is the burn in an obvious place or could it be in an area where a piece could be patched in?

What figure did you have in mind?

If of course you want to challenge the amount that is what the deposit adjudication is for so take that route.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    It depends on the expected life of a carpet in a rental property. If it is 5 years then you should be liable for 50% of the cost as the carpet was already half way through its life. If the expected life is 10 years then you'd be liable for 75% as it was 1/4 through its life.

I would say that carpets in rental properties dont last as long as owned homes as they are not as well looked after, also depends on the quality of the carpet that was there. If it was a cheap one then it may well only last 5 years. What is the overall condition of the carpet?

Thanks
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sajeevjos wrote: »
    Hi All,

The end of Tenancy was on 23rd June 2018.
    There is burnt mark in the main bedroom carpet.
    This was caused by my Iron box.
    The landlord wants to replace carpet. The carpet was new when I moved into the house.
    I have lived in the property for 2.5 years. So the carpet is now 2.5 years old.

The quote they received to replace the carpet in main bedroom is £414 .
    And the landlord ask me to pay 80 % of that amount which is £340.

Please advice what is the legitimate amount I need to pay is 80% is reasonable.

Cheers,
    Sajeev

You burnt a carpet that was only 2.5 years old.

At 80%, the landlord is giving a lifespan of 12.5 years, which is reasonable.

I paid £230 for a reasonable quality (synthetic) carpet in a double room recently.

I'm assuming this is a higher quality carpet hence the cost.

Their claim seems fair.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Offer them half what they asked for or deposit adjudication.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have contents insurance with accidental damage?
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • need_an_answer
    Options

I would say that carpets in rental properties dont last as long as owned homes as they are not as well looked after, also depends on the quality of the carpet that was there. If it was a cheap one then it may well only last 5 years. What is the overall condition of the carpet?

Thanks

I would disagree on this,the carpets in my rental properties on the whole are looked after far better by the tenants than my family treat our own,simply I believe because the tenant wants their deposit back.
    I don't ask them to remove shoes or cover carpets with additional rugs but many of my tenants simply protect a lot better than homeowners IMO.

I'm always a little perplexed by the idea that a carpet life span is 5 years, i'm sure neither homeowners nor LL's replace that often and if they did carpet right wouldn't be in the financial position they are now with poor trading figures

In this case the overall condition of the carpet is not relevant.It was new 2and a half years ago and has now been damaged beyond what is classed as wear and tear
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 2:23PM
    Options
    How big is the bedroom, that sounds a lot for a bedroom quality carpet. Also this from the TDS,

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Product%20Lifespans%20Guide_DIGITAL.PDF
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • need_an_answer
    edited 9 July 2018 at 2:39PM
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    How big is the bedroom, that sounds a lot for a bedroom quality carpet. Also this from the TDS,

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Product%20Lifespans%20Guide_DIGITAL.PDF

The LL is not obliged to use "bedroom quality " carpet they are entitled to replace with like for like
    Potentially the LL used higher grade carpet of the type your link refers to as "high"

The LL isn't able to claim betterment but theres nothing to say that the carpet should be lower grade than what they already have or indeed that they need to use "bedroom quality" stuff

Surely each case must be judged on its own merits and no 2 cases are the same.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• lookstraightahead
    Options
    If it was new, ask how much they paid for it in the first place.

If it was a cheap carpet it wouldn't last as long either.
  • need_an_answer
    edited 9 July 2018 at 3:28PM
    Options
    If it was new, ask how much they paid for it in the first place.

If it was a cheap carpet it wouldn't last as long either.

The LL does not need to provide receipts or information about the cost of items within a rental property.

Who says cheap carpet doesn't last long?

It depends how it is treated,some can last far longer than 5 years.

In this case it appears that the only reason the OP 's tenanted carpet needs replacing is because its been damaged so nothing to do with wear and tear.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills