Refused finance in curries store

Options
Hi, I went to purchase a mac book air today in curries. I was refused finance. Which has really surprised me. My partner and myself earn 35 grand a year between us, I have a credit card which I use and pay back often. Balance is currently zero. I have car insurance direct debit and internet dd leaving account every month. No other debts. No county court judgement, I’m on the electoral roll. I had a sofa on finance 6 years ago with a different financer which was paid in full. So I really can’t understand why I was refused.
Could the length of payment arrangement affect their decision? I opted for a 3 year payback which made monthly payments lower, would it have been better to choose a year with higher repayments? Any advice would be appreciated! I really want to appt again! I need a new computer!!

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    Hi Ninanooz and welcome to the forum :)

Have you checked your three credit files for negative data and accuracy?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Ninanooz
    Options
    Hi, thanks for reply! I obtained a free credit report from Equifax the credit reference agency that creation (the financer) uses. All seems ok, there is an old address on it that I haven’t lived at for 11 years... which I suspect doesn’t have a great track record with credit... but there was nothing against the address to suggest this....
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why even go for credit in currys? Your credit cards are more likely a better APR.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Addresses don't have credit history.

Only people.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Addresses don't have credit history.

Only people.

Not 100% strictly true.

While it does not form part of the generic searchabvle credit history from the agencies a company is free to blacklist an address if they feel the need. SKY (for example) do so at times. If they have been burned at the property multiple times it makes sense.
  • Ninanooz
    Options
    Unfortunately the apt on my credit card is higher
  • Ninanooz
    Options
    Apr (sorry)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Why even go for credit in currys? Your credit cards are more likely a better APR.

Or use cash.

Cut back on any unnecessary spending and buy one.
  • Ninanooz
    Options
    Sorry, I hoped for advice concerning being refused credit, when it seems my credit should be good... and then possibilities of turning that decision around, not personal advice on my finances. If I could afford to buy a computer with cash obviously I would����
  • itisOllie
    Options
    Hello, my partner was refused credit in a Currys store and we have a much higher combined income.
    As a note they are notorious for their high requirements when taking out finance with them.

Your minimal credit history probably acted against you because you have stated you only have had a few items on credit in the past :) Nothing to worry about.

It is advise-able as people have previously stated to maybe save and get the cash for it and reduce monthly outgoings. However if like my partner you really wanted to get the item and can justify the monthly outgoing, maybe have a look at if you can take a 0% purchases credit card (make sure it is over the same period you were looking to pay off the Mac, do NOT let interest accrue on it). This is what we did and have recently paid it off in full. :)

If your credit report is clear there are plenty of other methods, whilst more work for you now and a bit of waiting may actually act in your favour for the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure