Account in credit

Options
LUSK
LUSK Posts: 67 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have an account in credit with an electricity supplier but they are no longer my provider.

In short, I'd like to have the credit in the form of money.

Having contacted them several times and requested for the funds to be returned, they continue to ignore despite a statement from them which clearly shows the account in credit.

It seems the only way to grab their attention might be with legal proceedings.

What's your thought on this, please?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LUSK wrote: »
    I have an account in credit with an electricity supplier but they are no longer my provider.

Having contacted them several times and requested for the funds to be returned, they continue to ignore despite a statement from them which clearly shows the account in credit.

When did you close/switch your account? If it was a switch then suppliers have 6 weeks from the day on which the supply was transferred to issue you with a Final Bill.
  • LUSK
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    When did you close/switch your account? If it was a switch then suppliers have 6 weeks from the day on which the supply was transferred to issue you with a Final Bill.

I would estimate 18 months ago - minimum.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In that case, if I was you, I would send the supplier a Letter Before Action and get ready to take them to The Small Claims Court.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Is the account using the final meter readings at the date of the Switch - i.e the opening readings for the new supplier.

Is the account marked final? and is it showing on-line or a paper copy?
  • LUSK
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    In that case, if I was you, I would send the supplier a Letter Before Action and get ready to take them to The Small Claims Court.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/

That's what I am thinking.
  • LUSK
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Is the account using the final meter readings at the date of the Switch - i.e the opening readings for the new supplier.

Is the account marked final? and is it showing on-line or a paper copy?

The document date is 22 January 2018 and the statement period os for 17.10.16 - 08.11.16.

It then goes on to say the closing balance for the period of this statement is X.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    Have you contacted the supplier and put in a complaint? I would do this. If no joy then https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    LUSK wrote: »

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/reclaim-energy-bill-refunds :)
  • LUSK
    Options
    Just an update to this. In the end as they had no intention of communicating with me, I took them to court to court which in turn managed to get their attention. Within the space of a few days, a cheque for the credit amount had arrived along with the court fee.

I find it incredible that it was necessary for me to go to such extreme lengths. It's just wasted everybodys time.
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who was the supplier? Name and shame!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts