PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much below asking price do people tend to go?

Options
124»

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    betsie wrote: »
    Unless you really want that specific house always offer lower than asking, the longer it!!!8217;s been on the market the lower I would go.
    The worse that can happen is they say no.

Good advice.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Totally agree with this, ignore Crashy time... My tactic has always been take someone with you, (preferably a parent)in front of the agent say you really like it but it will be a stretch, ask the person with you, if you made an offer would they be willing to lend you £10k to put in an offer that wont offend (around 10% below asking)try to look at it objectively, find things that will need doing.

That way it makes it look like thats all you can afford so if they turn it down you might walk away... You can always then up your offer a bit saying you can borrow a bit more from your parents but your really pushing it..

If its been on the market for 9 months it could be good or it could be bad, if they actually want to sell then it could be good, try to see if the house as been reduced in that time (propertybee). They could be kite flyers... It really depends on how much you can afford and how much you want the house.

Good advice, your knowledge comes from trawling property forums from about `96 I believe?
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Good advice, your knowledge comes from trawling property forums from about `96 I believe?

Yep I mean in 96 I was 13, im guessing you were a lot older, im now a millionaire looking to retire before 40 and ur still renting a bedsit in Glasgow bitter that you pay to rent to someone like me when you could have bought but you took your own advice not too...

The reason I contest your agenda is I found housepricecrash years ago and almost go suckered in, thankfully people around me talked me out of it and ive made hundreds of thousands of pounds because of that decision... People on here might actually take notice of the housepricecrash rubbish you peddle so you need to be challenged...
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    I think go with what you think it is worth with the promise to yourself that you are happy to walk away if necessary. I do not think a low bid is a problem - the vendors do not worry about the buyers feeling insulted when they reject offers.

Keep level headed and be realistic (whatever that means to you).
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Yep I mean in 96 I was 13, im guessing you were a lot older, im now a millionaire looking to retire before 40 and ur still renting a bedsit in Glasgow bitter that you pay to rent to someone like me when you could have bought but you took your own advice not too...

The reason I contest your agenda is I found housepricecrash years ago and almost go suckered in, thankfully people around me talked me out of it and ive made hundreds of thousands of pounds because of that decision... People on here might actually take notice of the housepricecrash rubbish you peddle so you need to be challenged...

Will that free you up to spend more time on property discussion forums, or will you do something else?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    I think go with what you think it is worth with the promise to yourself that you are happy to walk away if necessary. I do not think a low bid is a problem - the vendors do not worry about the buyers feeling insulted when they reject offers.

Keep level headed and be realistic (whatever that means to you).

So true, and some posts on here mocking "Cheeky offers" back that up. many would be sellers are going to kick themselves in future for knocking back decent offers IMO. The media seem to be revelling in crash talk now.....

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/12/london-property-prices-plunge-as-brexit-effect-deepens
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Will that free you up to spend more time on property discussion forums, or will you do something else?

Only you could try to turn being millionaire and retiring before 40 as something bad... But as you ask im going to go back to college to retrain as a sparky (Something ive fancied for a while and a trade I can always use). Im then going to use my skills to do jobs for free for charities and do dog walking for a local rescue centre... I mean you having to work till your how old paying rent because you missed you chance to buy sounds wonderful... Ive said why im on here, why are you on here?
  • mistertea
    mistertea Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In 2012 we offered a best and final £370K on a three bed semi with another bidder competing. We lost out as the other party offered full asking price £375K. We were deflated at the time but a few months later had a full asking price £410K offer accepted on a 3 bed detached bungalow, bigger plot, loads of potential. There had been another party offering on the bungalow and on the day we completed I was told by the EA that they had missed out by offering £408K.

My wife says it was meant to be, I maintain that I went with my gut on both offers and am now grateful that I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure