We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dafty, your symptoms sound a lot like those my friend was having. Baffled his GP. I diagnosed him as having panic attacks, but in fact there was something physically amiss, so it's just as well I didn't go in for medicine! :o He has it all sorted now, but I can't remember what was done.....he was in and out quickly anyway.

I remember the Sophie effect when I once gave blood.

I told her proudly, "I have very low blood pressure."

"Not today, you haven't!" was the reply. It was much quicker too. :D

Happy days...... when I had low blood pressure, that is.

We've still got the bug, so has the telly, and someone is still nicking plants, but at least some things change around here.....Do you remember the nearby posh neighbour's 'apple and machinery store' with the person on the roof in a howling snowstorm? Well, it's suddenly developed an external staircase and a boiler....:cool:

https://ibb.co/nosxKS

Wonder what's happening t'other side? ;) Seems a damned unhandy way to get apples upstairs, but what do I know? :)
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Dave - Can you rig up a web cam? I would be really annoyed about the plant thefts. It really does spoil it and make you wonder who is doing it.

The neighbour's development is more than apple storage. What a chocolate box house they have.

Drizzly & driech here. We await a couple of lads to help move some timber up stairs and shift stuff around so we can make a start up there but I've rammed that much stuff up there it will a bit of heaving and piling up of crap/treasure in one corner.

I acquired some wood lining from a previous job and am going to use it in the porch I think. It will save on plaster board and I rather like the look of it when painted. I will have to sand it and fill it first. I must look at colours.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ach, my ilth has more to do with being a biochemist for thirty years, working with some noxious [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] er chemicals and toxins. If I want experts, I just have to go into the lab, and most of them have odd symptoms too. Not much we can do about it, other than tend the symptoms as they arise. My symptoms last peaked back in 1999 to 2001, and that was much worse.

It's one of the reasons I'm daydreaming on this thread, and try to avoid going in to actually do much work. I much prefer to sit with my goats and sheep, and do the theory and run bits of the labs at a distance. If they are fool enough to believe this counts as work, who am I to argue? :D

Most of the time, I am pretty healthy, certainly more so than most, so I count myself pretty lucky.

Mind you, if I knew the ambulance rota, I might get ill on the odd occasion ...:o

Off to enjoy moving some soil and rocks, where some bees are beginning to settle. I need to quietly move them on while I still can, for their same a d mine. They are right under the conservatory window.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

another gorgeous day here again, waking to the sun through the window and full bird song is just loverly ....

got a call 7pm last night to say my mum was in the hospital ! she had been taken ill in her local village and carted off in an ambulance ... didn't want to ring me "as you were at work and nothing you could do until they had finished prodding me about" !! her heart rate had dropped and blood pressure ! a lovely lady [60/70s] had stopped to help her, got her some cold water, called her husband who drove 7 miles to come take her home safely but in the interim called an ambulance. there IS some kind people still out there :)
    she walks the 1 mile to the village and usually gets a taxi back but she is now under strict instruction to get a taxi BOTH ways to anywhere ... we will see, stubborn as a mule !
    she now has to have investigations re a heart problem....

never a dull moment here !!

sheep shearing day today so gonna stink and look like a tramp later :rotfl:

hae a good day peeps x
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dafty I knew a chap who worked in Gov research horticulture and he was exposed to some pretty fierce chemicals that did impact him greatly too.

One of the reasons that we live here as it was quite an insight into what actually gets put on the ground in agricultural areas. Here is too ruff ruff to plant fields so very little spraying going on and none on industrial scale as happened on a farm I used to live on.

Alfie - Poor Mum, poor you - such a worry, but she sounds game and that is the main thing. Yes, thankfully there are good people out there. It's always nice to know that most people are good eggs - hopefully.

Today is spent arguing with SEPA - as was yesterday. Very awkward organisation who seem intent on causing grief and wrecking plans of a chap who was off abroad to live today but all on hold now. Grumble, mumble grrrr. Some people are very difficult to deal with.

Sideboard from store now dragged into space left by one that went in auction and it's been woodworm treated an washed down as filthy - that's today's exploits so far. Have ripped the back off it and burnt that and will have to re - ply it. I must get out doors before the phone starts again. Grey and drizzly but not too bad at all I suppose.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    It's finally cool enough to consider doing something with the weedpatch. We managed a barbecue out there at the weekend, complete with next door's small girl child and her friend/cousin generously giving us a puppet show from behind the tall fence - all we could see other than her brother's toys being used as romantic leads were the tops of their little fluffy heads (Jamaican heritage) and hands. It's been too hot the rest of the time - but fortunately, it would appear that, in Spring/Summer at least, the new housing might not block every scrap of sunlight in the afternoon, and in winter, it never gets high enough to come over the fence anyhow, so houses in the way won't make a blind bit of difference.

On the subject of new houses, would I be right in thinking that that barn wouldn't have been given planning permission for conversion into an executive dwelling, Dave? But, IIRC, if nobody notices for x number of years, they can say 'oh, it was like that when we got here' and get it retrospectively?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Options

On the subject of new houses, would I be right in thinking that that barn wouldn't have been given planning permission for conversion into an executive dwelling, Dave? But, IIRC, if nobody notices for x number of years, they can say 'oh, it was like that when we got here' and get it retrospectively?
    No, but after 4 years of 'being like that' without anyone who matters noticing, they may be able to get it regularised, or whatever the word is.

They only got planning to build it in 2015. The original design had 2 storeys and was circa 7m high. After a bit of horse trading they were (I think) allowed to keep the Velux windows on t'other side in exchange for only having a ground floor and lowering the roof line.

Obviously, the planners didn't buy their agent's guff about needing an entire upper floor to store apples (in broad daylight.) They haven't that many apple trees.

But now, they don't just have a ground floor, because no one builds a spiral stairway and punches a doorway through to nowhere. The boiler venting steam in the picture is also as far from the house as they can get, so I don't think it's heating that.

I'll do some more research. There's a lot of documents to read. Normally I wouldn't bother, but these folk don't have a shortage of ancilliary accommodation as there were two apartments with full facilities in another barn when they purchased the place from a friend of ours.

Will probably delete this and the picture later. Don't quote please.:cool:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The little grey bits in the middle of the roof look remarkably like bathroom stink pipes/fan vents...
  • Davesnave
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    The little grey bits in the middle of the roof look remarkably like bathroom stink pipes/fan vents...
    They do.

I can't work out what they're up to. Looking at the doorway, and the roof line, there can't be much usable space up there, and they already have guest accommodation. :huh:

Money seems to be no object.They've purchased land around their plot from one of the local big-wigs, who never normally sells land. You can see all the new fencing. My guess is that fast-growing trees will go into those areas soon. ;)

But there's still the public RoW, the close-together posts for which you can see passing the new staircase. They can't block that! :p
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd keep an eye on the distance between those posts and the house over the next few years. If they own the land both sides you may find they creep...

The hornet has moved into the bathroom and has been snoozing on the curtain wire since the middle of last night. I'm not keen to move the curtain and disturb it. The window is open...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback