Travelling On

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I hope you're okay, CBC - I absolutely understand about the cards thing. My sister attaches a lot more importance to them than I do, and thats okay. But even *I* think that funerals are important to get right.

That's really nice.

:rotfl: I bet they do! We all do what we can, when we can. Its doing too much thats the problem (not that I ever do too much cleaning :D).

Thanks again to everyone for their input:A. I'll feel a lot better once Wednesday has been and gone.

As for cleaning, I'm afraid I'm a believer in doing absolute essentials such as toilets and sinks whenever necessary but leaving the less crucial jobs for a little longer. If things are not exactly injurious to health I can turn a blind eye for quite some time:o. This probably comes from being brought up by a fanatical mother who had a set cleaning routine where things like skirting boards were cleaned to within an inch of their lives on a set day whether they needed it or not:eek:. Not just dusted/wiped over (my slutternly method:rotfl:) but rigorously cleaned with a bleach solution. This was even in rooms that no one ever went into. I still hate the smell of bleach:eek:

I live by the mantra of Shirley Conran in her household management 'bible' of the, I think, late 1970s where she said:

'I make no secret of the fact that I would rather lie on a sofa than sweep beneath it. But you have to be efficient if you're going to be lazy'

I know you're anything but lazy, KC, but I certainly can be:o. Shirley Conran was a believer in getting the essentials done in the most time-saving way. It was a case of deciding on priorities. Some things were totally unnecessary and others could wait. I also like her quote:

'Life's too short to stuff a mushroom'.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Cbc if you pop in before you have to write the card i don't know if you are aware of the dragonfly symbolism around death but if you have enough space Gayle Shaw Cramer wrote 'we leave our human body behind so we can soar like a dragonfly, free from any human pain or suffering' if you have time have a look at the poem, it's really nice.

These other suggestions are lovely too, simple yet meaningful

Daisy xx

Thank you, daisy:A. That's lovely. I'm not sure if I'll use it but I'll go and find that poem anyway as it sounds comforting.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Daisy, that sounds lovely.
    I know you're anything but lazy, KC, but I certainly can be:o. Shirley Conran was a believer in getting the essentials done in the most time-saving way. It was a case of deciding on priorities. Some things were totally unnecessary and others could wait. I also like her quote:

'Life's too short to stuff a mushroom'.
    I'm lazy in my head, CBC :rotfl: or rather, I'm a secret teenager still :D Every time I clean something, or get the dishes into the dishwasher, I can hear my brain saying "but why do I have to do this? It should be just **done**" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And now I'm going to boil a kettle for some tea, and get the dishes into the dishwasher. Reluctantly :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    This probably comes from being brought up by a fanatical mother who had a set cleaning routine where things like skirting boards were cleaned to within an inch of their lives on a set day whether they needed it or not:eek:. Not just dusted/wiped over (my slutternly method:rotfl:) but rigorously cleaned with a bleach solution.

Well, to be fair to your mother, if you want stuff clean without putting much effort into it, use bleach.

Wipe it on, and after a short time, it will have slaughtered bacteria, oxidised most dirt into either white or colourless, and turned itself into harmless water (which evaporates) and salt (which is too thin a layer to see).

It's only downside is that it absolutely murders anything you put it on which isn't resistant. In my previous house, I replaced a number of toilet seats because the hinges corroded completely through.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :wave:

Morning KC!
    (well only just, having looked at the clock)

You are sounding very cheery & chipper this morning! AMAZED with your SB progress! OH tried it & decided he did not have the patience for it! ;):D;)

Quote buttons have decided not to play nicely today...

Totally agree about doing what you can when you can! These days I get home, eat dinner & then collapse on the sofa - only to revive long enough to crawl up to bed...

Nothing gets done in the evening & sometimes the 'I am a sloth' thought gets entertained - but only briefly!

We've been awake since 6:30 (stoopid body clock) but not actually functional until about 9:30! :rotfl: So achievements are small & manageable - kitchen tidied, check...breakfast, check... d/w on, check... w/m on, check... cuppa green tea, check... sitting on sofa with a blankie & the laptop, check...

That's me done for the next few hours when maybe, just maybe some magical energy dust may have found it's way to me...
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Well, to be fair to your mother, if you want stuff clean without putting much effort into it, use bleach.

Wipe it on, and after a short time, it will have slaughtered bacteria, oxidised most dirt into either white or colourless.....

I take your point but I'm afraid Mum's method was anything but effortless. It involved much rubbing and scrubbing even when there wasn't a mark to be seen before she started:eek:.

I'm surprised the paintwork survived but, now I think of it, Dad did seem to do a lot of indoor painting:eek:
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I take your point but I'm afraid Mum's method was anything but effortless. It involved much rubbing and scrubbing even when there wasn't a mark to be seen before she started:eek:.

My technique relies on the:
    • Put it on
    • Wait 30 minutes
    • "Ooh...isn't it sparkly?"
    • "Is that hinge corroding again? I've just replaced that..."

:rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I definitely think there are more important things to do in life than housework.... I'd far rather lie on the sofa than sweep beneath it.... but then when you invite people round there's much more housework to be done than if you just did it every day..... (Says she who has spent all morning doing housework in the knowledge that the in-laws are coming for lunch tomorrow!)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    I definitely think there are more important things to do in life than housework.... I'd far rather lie on the sofa than sweep beneath it.... but then when you invite people round there's much more housework to be done than if you just did it every day..... (Says she who has spent all morning doing housework in the knowledge that the in-laws are coming for lunch tomorrow!)

When my uber-houseproud Mother visited us I was running round like a headless chicken for days beforehand:o. Luckily, as she lived a couple of hundred miles from us, she always gave plenty of prior notice of an impending visit. I think I would have passed out completely if she'd ever just turned up at the door:eek:
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening Karma :wave: Hope your having a lovely, snow free pottering Saturday:D xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback