PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Pet Permission - Housing Assocation (Great Places)

Options
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could advise. I’m Current a tennant in a housing association apartment block and in my tenancy it states you need to request written permission to keep a pet.

I have recently put the request in writing and my request was refused due to the fact we don’t have our own door. But the complex it’s self has mixed tenancy with leaseholders and Housing Assocation tenants.

But leaseholders are allowed dogs but tenants can’t even though we all use the same doors to access to the building.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this situation before? as I’m at a loss why we as tenants would be treated differently.
Im an ex employee RBS Group
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know what advice you want really. It's normal rules for a HA. If you want a pet get a guinea pig or something that can be kept indoors.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    Presumably you are treated differently because you don't own your flat.

If you want to live in a HA property, you will have to abide by their rules I'm afraid.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has come across this situation before? as I’m at a loss why we as tenants would be treated differently.
    Maybe it's a blanket policy for all of the HA's tenants, irrespective of whether they live in a mixed tenure block or not?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The leaseholders will have different agreements to the Housing Association tenancy agreements.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure the leaseholders are actually allowed to have dogs. Very few leases allow dogs and cat due to the possibility of them disturbing other owners.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are a tenant as opposed to a leaseholder then there are often more restrictive rules within the same block - an example is smoking - often tenants are forced to smoke outside in the street while leaseholders get to smoke in the comfort of their living room.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in posting….

I did seek permission from the HA but the reason for refusal was:

“It is very unlikely permission will be granted for a dog if the property does not have a separate entrance and sole use of a garden, as per the policy. The group’s policy contributes to Great Places meeting the regulatory standard around neighbourhood management which requires us to keep neighbourhood and communal areas associated with the homes that we own clean and safe. Only in exceptional cases, i.e. where an assistance dog is required due to a disability, we will consider these requests”

However leaseholders are allowed pets but obviously they use the same door and communal areas as us HA tenant’s so that’s what’s baffled me a slightly. If that was the case I would have thought there would have been a blanket no dog’s policy unless it was a service dog for example.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy a lease?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe there is only one rule - and those you see don't have permission, they just do it.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Maybe there is only one rule - and those you see don't have permission, they just do it.

No they have confirmed it’s possible for leaseholders just abit strange to me considering there only using the door and communal garden as the reason for refusal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family