Financial Connection

Options
My wife and I are buying a house and the solicitors have performed a search for money laundering prevention purposes. We are now both listed as having a financial connection, even though we have no joint loans or any kind of credit.

Can I get the connection removed from both reports? Obviously we are informally financially connected due to being married, but I don't see why one of us should drag down the other if we need to apply for credit in future.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Will your mortgage be in joint names?

That will financially link you anyway
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, cash buy
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Is there actually anything on either creditvfile to be worried about s financial connection. Would appear that if you!!!8217;re a cash buyer you!!!8217;re unlikely to be I need of credit or worrying about a financial link...but appreciate that!!!8217;s prett presumptuous.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will you both be living in the house together? Is it connected to utilities? If the answer to both is yes, then disconnecting would be short lived as you would both be on the water bill, irrespective of who pays it as water companies deem all occupants jointly responsible. This would be a financial connection for you.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Will you both be living in the house together? Is it connected to utilities? If the answer to both is yes, then disconnecting would be short lived as you would both be on the water bill, irrespective of who pays it as water companies deem all occupants jointly responsible. This would be a financial connection for you.

Financial connections are supposed to be for joint financial products such as current accounts and mortgages, not for utility bills. Regardless, the CRAs permit utility companies to game the system and set up financial associations when they've no business doing so. This is one to bring to the attention of the ICO. That said, you can also work the system: never set up a utility account in joint names and never disclose details of household occupants to the utility companies. As far as the water company is concerned, yes, they try for joint liability. However, the same applies here. Do not, under any circumstances, inform the water company about occupants of the property other than yourself. And only provide minimum information about yourself (name only, no previous addresses).

I'm guessing the OP has been linked to his wife via a utility account. This will need to be removed by informing the CRAs that it does not apply. Again, this is an area for regulation. At the moment the CRAs report non-existent financial links. In other words, they lie about your circumstances. I thought credit files are supposed to represent the truth.
  • Car1980
    Options
    The house is a cash buy, but we are being lent some of the money by a relative so intend to get a personal loan to pay it back once we are in the property and on the electoral register etc.

One of us has more credit card debt than the other, so I wanted to keep us separate because it seems likely to me that one of us would get a better rate than the other.

We've lived together for 8 years so I can't see United Utilities suddenly creating the association out of the blue. They only know about me and every other utility is in my name as well.

The only thing that I can see would create the association is the solicitors search from January.

I'll send off all the Notice of Disassociation forms to the three agencies anyway and see what happens.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Car1980 wrote: »
    The house is a cash buy, but we are being lent some of the money by a relative so intend to get a personal loan to pay it back once we are in the property and on the electoral register etc.

One of us has more credit card debt than the other, so I wanted to keep us separate because it seems likely to me that one of us would get a better rate than the other.

We've lived together for 8 years so I can't see United Utilities suddenly creating the association out of the blue. They only know about me and every other utility is in my name as well.

The only thing that I can see would create the association is the solicitors search from January.

I'll send off all the Notice of Disassociation forms to the three agencies anyway and see what happens.

Wife a second card holder on one of your credit cards - or vice versa? Again, this shouldn't create a financial association but some providers take it upon themselves to create one anyway, M&S credit card being a well-known one for this stunt.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 April 2018 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Is it actually a financial association or have they simply done a search. Credit cards often do a search on the second card holder but it does not form a connection, MrsM had a search done by MBNA as my second card holder but it shows as a soft search and no connection through that product. AML checks are soft searches and should not form a connection.
  • Car1980
    Options
    Clearscore has 'you have a financial connection to Mr X' and vice versa, but there is no information about what the connection is.

There are no connections on Noddle.

Everything is separate, no second holder on credit cards etc.

The solicitor AML check only appears on Clearscore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure