PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tumble drier vs heated airer

Options

Comments

• Poppy1984
    Options
    upwards wrote: »
    I second the Lakeland electric airer. It is soooo worth the initial cost. Yes it is more expensive but once you have been spoilt with that, you will never go back to a tumble dryer or the cheaper electric airers. I haven't noticed any extra condensation etc. It dries the clothes beautifully. And most of the clothes don't require ironing either!

Is this the one you mean?

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry%3ASoon-Standard-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Another vote here for the Lakeland heated airer. I've had one for a few years, I find it will dry a double duvet, sheet and pillowcases overnight; I usually put a spare duvet cover over it to help keep the heat in.

I haven't got enough radiators to hold all my washing, and I hate seeing it draped around the house, and I have not had a tumble-drier for years, too expensive and wasteful in my view. This is perfect, and it folds away when not in use. I haven't used it at all over the summer, but it will be coming back into play now the weather is not so good, I wouldn't be without it.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It looks like a space liability - once up it'd be in the way unless you've more than one room.

You could also consider a small de-humidifier unit, which can be tucked away in a corner and gets rid of the damp from the clothes and any other damp that occurs. Of course, they are pricier to buy.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Yes, it does take up room when all the racks are up - but so does a tumble dryer, and all the time at that! However, I don't think that its floorplan is much bigger than a tumble dryer.

I've had one of the Lakeland ones for several years now, and I wouldn't go back to a tumble dryer. Like upwards, I've not noticed excess humidity being a problem, but then I am a believer in opening windows, even for a short time in winter.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the advnatage of that dryer is you can simply put it in to another room out the way folded up ( ? ) if needed whereas a tumbly drier is always there.

Those wall mounted or ceiling mounted horses (discussed elsewhere) are not too bad, I still have my Victorian ceiling mounted clothes horse thankfully! But the modern wall mounted ones , at least when empty they fold almost flat so not a big space premium is eaten. :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you have space and don't get humidity issues victoriana style airers are worth a look.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Man alive, you can end up spending £180 on one of those Lakeland ones. Are they really that much better than the £29 Aldi one?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have space and don't get humidity issues victoriana style airers are worth a look.

They also have the disadvantage that if they're in the kitchen, clothes can pick up cooking smells. :(
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    They also have the disadvantage that if they're in the kitchen, clothes can pick up cooking smells. :(

Don't put it in the kitchen.

They can go anywhere, bathroom over a bath works.

Spare room where your alternative airer would be

Once pulled up to the ceiling empty they are out the way.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I gave in last year and bought a tumble dryer, its in the garage

I have a clothes airer in the hall, but I have a double hall so its not seen from the door

Mostly I throw stuff on the airer to dry, usually dry within the day, but work clothes that I need urgently get thrown in the tumble dryer

I prefer to dry on the airer, the tumble dryer is used very sparingly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport