PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tumble drier vs heated airer

Options
Hi everyone,
My tumble drier broke a few months ago, I've been managing ok while the weathers been ok but when it's wet and I've not started using the heating yet it's a nightmare. I was planning on investing in a new drier, but I'm tempted by one of these

https://www.aldi.co.uk/heated-clothes-airer/p/018734287269500

What are people's opinions thoughts? Apart from the obvious it's a lot cheaper than buying a drier, what about electricity use and effectiveness?
19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It uses hardly any electric.

And there is hardly any difference to it being on of off. unless you lay maybe 3 items over most of it.

Depends on how much you want to dry and how quick.

Yes I have one!
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 September 2019 at 5:51PM
    Options
    Having never owned either an item like the above (does look good though) or a tumble drier my only real thought is with the above you may 'gain/keep' some heat in the room where it is, compared to a tumble which by its nature usually throws the waste air outside I think ? :)

I'm not sure if they do heat the kitchen by accident (tumble driers that is) during operation.

Just really thinking that a bit of extra 'free' heat from the drier rack above, but as mentioned if it costs more to run then it may be a counterproductive thought! :)

EDIT... Is that wattage correct 230W ? That is quite relatively low, a tumble would be I expect 1KW to 2KW but am not sure on that , slightly worried that may be a typo for the 'rack' as its the same as the voltage rating shown.
  • Poppy1984
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    It uses hardly any electric.

And there is hardly any difference to it being on of off. unless you lay maybe 3 items over most of it.

Depends on how much you want to dry and how quick.

Yes I have one!

Hi thanks for your reply, so it doesn't really dry any quicker than a non electric airer?
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply, so it doesn't really dry any quicker than a non electric airer?

I have a lakeland one with the additional cover

The cover does make the clothes dry quicker, overnight in some cases especially cottons. jeans a little longer

This is from the evening when I've put them on the airer,. but I have dried without it and it isn't that much different in time wise it's just that the heat is staying put with the cover on ifyswim

You don't have to have a cover, before I bought it I used a duvet cover

Years ago Lakeland advised against this due to condensation but then brought out the cover which I then bought
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• pattypan4
    Options
    depends if your home can take the humidity from a heated rack. Humidity can be bad in a house
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend the Aldi version if you have working radiators.

The JML Dri-BUDDI is good though, although you towels etc still take ages. I bought mine second hand and it is relatively inexpensive to run, and a Godsend in the winter months when there is no sunshine.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Poppy1984
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I needed informed opinions! Love this board :)
  • coffeehound
    Options
    I agree - if your home is even a bit warm in winter, and doesn’t suffer from condensation, damp or mould, then non-heated racks are good enough.

My place is only around 19 degrees in winter, but everything still dries quickly, usually overnight.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »

Very slightly on anything touching the bars or near. Hence why I said maybe 3 items.
  • upwards
    Options
    I second the Lakeland electric airer. It is soooo worth the initial cost. Yes it is more expensive but once you have been spoilt with that, you will never go back to a tumble dryer or the cheaper electric airers. I haven't noticed any extra condensation etc. It dries the clothes beautifully. And most of the clothes don't require ironing either!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure