Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Ring Pulls

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know of any charities that are collecting the ring pulls from soft drinks cans?

My work have started collecting them.

Thanks

Christina

Comments

• foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    ChristinaW wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any charities that are collecting the ring pulls from soft drinks cans?

Thanks

Christina

Why? It's one small part of an aluminium can...it's never going to be cost effective to collect or buy.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 October 2019 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Yes!!
    I met someone earlier this year whose local group ( Rotary ) collected ring pulls to export to a craft group abroad as they use them in bracelets, bags etc by crotcheting them together.

a quick Google produced this:
    https://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/page.php?PgID=745547&ClubID=2204

and this:
    "We need your ring pulls! We recycle the ring pulls from cans of drink into a range of eco-fashion handbags, clothing and accessories. You can collect on your own or with a group of friends; we need as many ring pulls as you can collect!
    Get Involved - Purple Community Fund

Full details here:
    https://www.p-c-f.org/get-involved/upcycle/

Collect 2kg. Worth 3pence per pull
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The ring pulls are pure aluminium unlike the actual can section which will contain a plastic coating to the inside and the printed label on the outside which contaminates the aluminium.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• safewood
    safewood Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 17 November 2019 at 10:54AM
    Options
    ChristinaW wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Christina

Where are you?

I can't remember seeing any ring pulls on any cans since the end of the last century anywhere within Europe.

They seem to have been universally replaced by a 'sta-tab' which is designed to remain on the can ofter opening to reduce littering and improve safety.

I was in China last year, and was surprised to see ring pulls were still in use on some cans there - first time I had seen one in over 20 years!
  • safewood
    Options
    The ring pulls are pure aluminium unlike the actual can section which will contain a plastic coating to the inside and the printed label on the outside which contaminates the aluminium.

The ring pull I saw in China definitely had a plastic coating.
    And I'm examining a sta-tab right now, and am able to confirm it too has a very thin plastic coating.

I guess it's to protect the contents of the can coming into direct contact with metal, and so ensure the contents remain safe for consumption for prolonged periods - the usual purpose of canning foodstuffs in the first place ;)
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2019 at 7:42AM
    Options
    I recycled many hundreds of tonnes of Ali cans and ring pulls when I was regional manager of Cash a Can a company owned by Alcoa,the Aluminium Company of America.
    The ring pull was worth about 100th of a penny and the Ali can 40p per kilo.
    The scheme was mainly to promote aluminium over steel for the manufacturing of cans
    As it was 100 times more valuable than steel cans,recycling was worth it to collectors.
    By promoting the aluminium can it was good for Alcoa's worldwide business
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2019 at 7:36AM
    Options
    There was a promotion on certain beer cans that if you collected 10 specific ring pulls and sent them back they would send you a crisp £1 note.
    We had an endless supply of ring pulls and spent many a happy hour sorting 100 at a time to send back to receive £10 .........I think the statute of limitations now puts me and my staff in the clear.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure