Warm Home Discount Criteria

Options
Does anyone know why different suppliers have different criteria for the "Warm Home Discount". I'm a full time carer on low income supporting an elderly mother who receives attendance allowance. EDF says I don't qualify but First Utility says I do. The government provide a list of suppliers along with their conditions. https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/energy-suppliers

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,098 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 November 2018 at 11:13AM
    Options
    From the Ofgem Website:

Am I eligible for the Warm Home Discount rebate?

To be eligible for the £140 WHD rebate you must first buy your energy from a participating energy supplier and meet the eligibility criteria for the Core Group or Broader Group elements of the scheme. Not all energy suppliers are part of the WHD scheme.

You may be able to benefit under the Industry Initiative element of the scheme even if you don’t buy your energy from a participating supplier, since these tend to target wider groups of fuel poor consumers. You can speak to any obligated energy supplier about the Industry Initiatives they offer, you do not have to buy your energy from them.

We have outlined the eligibility requirements for each aspect of the scheme below. However, please note that list is non-exhaustive, and you should consult our WHD guidance for further detail on eligibility requirements.

What is the Core Group?

The Core Group is an element of the WHD scheme intended to support some pensioners, through a direct annual rebate of £140 to their electricity or gas accounts.

You are eligible for the rebate in scheme year 7 (June 2017 - March 2018) if on the 9th July 2017 the following applied:

Your energy supplier is a participating compulsory or voluntary supplier,
    You or your partner’s name is on the energy bill, and
    You receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
    Most customers identified as eligible for the Core Group rebate receive this automatically as a result of a data matching exercise between energy suppliers and the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you qualify for the WHD under the Core Group you will get a letter in the autumn or winter telling you either:

That you don’t have to apply - you’ll get the discount automatically, or
    To apply by 31 January 2018 - the letter will tell you why and how.
    You would have received your letter by 30 November 2017 at the latest.

What if I don’t get a letter but believe I am eligible under the Core Group?

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) administers the Core Group element of WHD, along with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). You can contact the Warm Home Discount Team if you don’t get a letter but believe you qualify. You can also contact them if you want further information about the scheme, using the details below:

Warm Home Discount Scheme

Telephone: 0345 603 9439

Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Find out about call charges

Warm Home Discount Team

2.1.P

Peel Park

Brunel Way

Blackpool

FY4 5ES

What is the Broader Group?

Compulsory suppliers also have their own schemes to provide £140 rebates to customers who are in or at risk of fuel poverty. This is provided under the Broader Group element of the WHD scheme.

Customers must apply directly to obligated energy suppliers to get the rebate, with suppliers often publishing on their website details of how to apply over the summer months.

The eligibility criteria for benefitting under the Broader Group are set out in the relevant legislation and in our scheme guidance. Examples of applicable criteria include being:

in receipt of Universal Credit, or in work or self- employed and on a total household annual income of less than £16,190 and one of the following applies:
    in receipt of limited capability for work element, with or without a work-related activity element;
    in receipt of disabled child element; or
    responsible for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you.
    The eligibility criteria listed here is non-exhaustive. Please find the full criteria in our scheme guidance.

Participating compulsory suppliers have some discretion to vary the eligibility criteria to address their specific customer base, so we would advise contacting your energy supplier directly to find out if you are eligible to receive the rebate.

Energy suppliers who voluntarily participate in the Warm Home Discount scheme do not provide Broader Group rebates.

Receiving the Broader Group rebate one year does not guarantee you’ll receive it in the future. Many suppliers operate a first-come first-served approach to paying their Broader Group rebates, and an energy supplier’s eligible customers under the Broader Group may exceed the number of rebates they are required to deliver.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's also probably worth a mention that for people to get WHD everyone's energy costs more to fund it, even those who get WHD.

It's a funny old world
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JSmith321 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why different suppliers have different criteria for the "Warm Home Discount". I'm a full time carer on low income supporting an elderly mother who receives attendance allowance. EDF says I don't qualify but First Utility says I do. The government provide a list of suppliers along with their conditions. https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/energy-suppliers

The short answer is that for the broader group (you have to apply for it) energy companies make their own rules for eligibility and/or even for payment. The long answer is in the link below:
    https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/low-income
  • JSmith321
    Options
    Thanks for that - looks like I'll have to leave EDF.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What matters is the total annual cost (with the WHD factored in, if available). If you are currently on EDF SVT (you didn't state your tariff) then any good fix would save you far more than the £140 WHD.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    It’s about time they done away with the WHD.
    Surely this causes everyone else’s bill to be higher to pay for it?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    It’s about time they done away with the WHD.
    Surely this causes everyone else’s bill to be higher to pay for it?

ONS

In the 2016 to 2017 winter period, there were an estimated 34,300 excess winter deaths (EWDs) in England and Wales, which represents an excess winter mortality (EWM) index of 20.9%.

Although there has been an increase in EWDs, the number of EWDs does not exceed the peak that was observed in the 2014 to 2015 winter period; however, it was the second highest over the last five winter periods.

Females and the elderly were most affected by excess winter mortality in the 2016 to 2017 winter period.

Over one-third of all excess winter deaths were caused by respiratory diseases in England and Wales in 2016 to 2017.

All of the English regions observed significant increases in the excess winter mortality index between winter periods 2015 to 2016 and 2016 to 2017, whereas excess winter mortality for Wales remained stable.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Obviously, you have never had to decide between heat and eat.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2018 at 2:04PM
    Options
    JSmith321 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - looks like I'll have to leave EDF.

With suppliers making their own rules for the Broader Group it is something of a minefield particularly if you don't take notice of the additional notes found on comparison sites such as MSE CEC and uSwitch. For example Bristol Energy only provides WHD for the Core Group (you receive the guarantee element of Pension credit) but not for the Broader group because it is a voluntary supplier.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,098 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    With suppliers making their own rules for the Broader Group it is something of a minefield particularly if you don't take notice of the additional notes found on comparison sites such as MSE CEC and uSwitch. For example Bristol Energy only provides WHD for the Core Group (you receive the guarantee element of Pension credit) but not for the Broader group because it is a voluntary supplier.

The dilemma for all suppliers is do they stay at 249,999 customers or push past the 250,000 customer figure. The latter has the downside of additional WHD costs for the core group which puts up their energy prices. The 'broader group' adds further pressures and if you are a supplier which reported a loss last year of £8.4M, it is probably something of a no brainer.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-energy-running-84million-loss-1132124
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure