PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any help landlord selling flat

Options
Ok , have a friend who is on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy
living in a 1-bed room flat with sibling who is eighteen.
He gets a call from landlords daughter saying the landlord wants to sell

This is after the landlord put the rent up , 3 months ago
When he again advised the tenant him and sibling could stay there as long as he's alive hes in his late 70's
and as he has reiterated every year for the last nine years
The conversation from his daughter is her sister has had a marital breakdown , and her father (landlord) has decided to sell, also mentions that he had a stroke over 3 months ago, which I find hard to believe , my friend spoke to him as he does on a regular basis and nothing was mentioned a few weeks ago,
Now we may be clutching at straws here, but kinda want to help him , he's helped me and he has struggled bringing up his sibling
Their flat is full of probs , damp etc, but he has still managed to make it look good, and been a model tenant
So authentic it may be from landlord , you can stay as long as Im alive, it was verbal not written down
and I suspect there is no marital breakdown , its about the money, flat is in a well sought area
Anything he can do ...? any advice thanks
I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.

Comments

• theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone help...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are lots of threads about this very situation. Here's a recent one:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5673081

If a landlord can get the paperwork right there's nothing a tenant can do to prevent eviction.
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

Yeah , some good threads, but I have the feeling they will have to leave, might tell him to get some legal info, he's owed a deposit , and he replaced everything in the flat, there is a lot more to it, but saying anymore may reveal too much as the landlord was once in the public eye, but I feel its more about the money

Ad hominem
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    theblagger wrote: »
    there is a lot more to it, but saying anymore may reveal too much as the landlord was once in the public eye, but I feel its more about the money

It's not relevant who the landlord is or who's marriage may or may not have broken down. If the ll wants to sell they can't prevent it, althougg as Pixie says it may sell to another landlord.
    If the property is damp etc anyway why are they so keen to stay?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    theblagger wrote: »
    Ok , have a friend who is on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy
    living in a 1-bed room flat with sibling who is eighteen.
    He gets a call from landlords daughter saying the landlord wants to sellGood of her to give the tenant advance warning

This is after the landlord put the rent up , 3 months ago
    Relevant because......?

When he again advised the tenant him and sibling could stay there as long as he's alive hes in his late 70's
    and as he has reiterated every year for the last nine years
    People's circumstances change - especially in old age

The conversation from his daughter is her sister has had a marital breakdown , and her father (landlord) has decided to sell, also mentions that he had a stroke over 3 months ago, which I find hard to believe , my friend spoke to him as he does on a regular basis and nothing was mentioned a few weeks ago,
    All irrellevant

Now we may be clutching at straws here, but kinda want to help him , he's helped me and he has struggled bringing up his sibling
    Kind of you

Their flat is full of probs , damp etc, but he has still managed to make it look good, and been a model tenant
    Why has he not enforced repairs?

So authentic it may be from landlord , you can stay as long as Im alive, it was verbal not written down
    You said he has a Statutory Periodic Tenancy, presumably an AST. Now you are suggesting it may be a Regulated Tensncy.
    Which is it?

and I suspect there is no marital breakdown , its about the money, flat is in a well sought area
    Anything he can do ...? any advice thanks
    The reason why a sale is planned (if indeed it is) is irrelevant.

However, all you have so far is an informal phone conversation from someone other than the landlord.

Either

* do nothing and wait to see if a S21 is served, or

* contact the landlord and seek clarification.

And read:

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

If you suspect it's a Regulated Tenancy, check here:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/tenancy_checker
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2017 at 1:24AM
    Options
    You may be misdirecting your help here.

If the LL wants to sell (get confirmation from him, not the daughter unless she's got power of attorney) and they are on a periodic tenancy, he can evict and sell or sell with tenants in place. If evicting proper notice has to be given (S21) before starting eviction proceedings.

You are wasting your time wondering why he wants to sell, what his motivation is and if he's had a stroke or not. Unless the offer to give the tenant a life long tenancy is in writing it is going to be difficult and expensive to prove this was said. Even if it is in writing it is still going to be difficult and I believe the LL can still put the rent up and make things unpleasant for the tenant (unless rent rises are stated as well).

I am an ex private tenant who was put through two years of 'I am going to sell', then 'I am not going to sell', with long periods of nothing inbetween so I didn't have a clue where I stood. Some will view that extra time as a bonus, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy the uncertainty.

Unfortunately, unless there are special needs or something to make the tenant etc vulnerable, they are unlikely to get help from the council, except perhaps help with a deposit etc. Have a look at the local council's housing policy, get the tenant to go and ask questions.

Concentrate on clarifying what the LL intends to do and get dates so you can help the tenant find somewhere else to live if the actual LL does want to sell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure