Your eBay account has been restricted

Options
Uglymug
Uglymug Posts: 165 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I've had a message from Ebay saying that offers to buy or sell outside eBay, including providing contact information within a member-to-member message, are not allowed.
As a result, my eBay buying and selling account privileges have been restricted for 7 days.
The buyer wanted to view the item on my doorstep, then I foolishly accepted a cash offer and removed the listing.

I've got 2 questions,
1) What should I have done, should I have refused the cash payment?
2) What exactly are these buying and selling account privileges Ebay have restricted for 7 days? and what does it mean?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Nostrus
    Nostrus Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You essentially won't be able to use Ebay to buy or sell items for 7 days.

Not sure if they shall apply a seller fee for the item.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Uglymug wrote: »
    I've had a message from Ebay saying that offers to buy or sell outside eBay, including providing contact information within a member-to-member message, are not allowed.
    As a result, my eBay buying and selling account privileges have been restricted for 7 days.
    The buyer wanted to view the item on my doorstep, then I foolishly accepted a cash offer and removed the listing.

I've got 2 questions,
    1) What should I have done, should I have refused the cash payment?
    2) What exactly are these buying and selling account privileges Ebay have restricted for 7 days? and what does it mean?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Basically it means you can't use eBay for a week, and also, any more warnings in the future will see your account closed.

eBay are getting very hot on the offers to sell outside of eBay issue, I had a warning (no restriction though) last December and others on here said they had also got warnings. In the case of a buyer wanting to view, the correct way of doing it, probably, would have been to get them to bid and then end the auction and sell to highest bidder when they took the item, that way eBay get their fees.

After a restriction you need to be as pure as the driven snow for the next year or two to avoid real issues.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Uglymug
    Uglymug Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Since getting the "Your Restricted" message I've sold 2 items and also listed another one - so there seems to be no restriction on my selling.
    The item was on "Buy It Now"
    Also if I accept payment via Ebay and Paypal and the item is collected I run the risk of having Ebay force me to refund the buyer when he claims he never collected the item.
    If there was a way of paying a fee to Ebay after accepting cash - I'd do it - but as far as I can tell there isn't.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Uglymug wrote: »
    Since getting the "Your Restricted" message I've sold 2 items and also listed another one - so there seems to be no restriction on my selling.
    The item was on "Buy It Now"
    Also if I accept payment via Ebay and Paypal and the item is collected I run the risk of having Ebay force me to refund the buyer when he claims he never collected the item.
    If there was a way of paying a fee to Ebay after accepting cash - I'd do it - but as far as I can tell there isn't.

Since PayPal is not the only payment option allowed for *most* sellers in *most* categories there is of course a way for eBay to take their fees. The fees are taken as soon as an auction or a BIN is won, payment is actually immaterial, that's why if a buyer fails to pay we sellers have to go through the NPB process to reclaim our fees. If item had sold on eBay, they would have got their fees and you would not have been in breach of their rules even if buyer had paid cash.

Incidentally, if they have said you are restricted I would be cautious about listing anything. Obviously if they haven't blocked your sales then you can't stop people buying, but just in case I would resist listing for a week. If you get another warning, even through a glitch in their restriction process , you could well face indefinite suspension.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 12:58AM
    Options
    I can only share my expereince I had once on a Friend ebay account with restriction.

We started selling the stuff on private seller. It was all genuine and we had no negatives at all. In fact all positives. However, we got a VERO warning, from 1 name. So we withdrew all the that name stuff as couldn't risk selling that name.

We thought the matter was settled with Ebay. Not so.

About 3 days later we get a email from EBAY saying they felt uncomfortable with our selling practices. What ever that meant to mean as they never stated a reason!

Without warning all our listings were cancelled & we wasn't completely banned, but they suspended us indefintely from selling that section.

Many I read about previously had a complete ban on selling, so I suppose lucky only to be suspended in 1 section.

If were getting bad feedback I'd understand it. Though probably another disgruntled VERO seller which felt we were taking too much of their business & wanted to take us out of action?
  • The_Last_Username
    Options
    IMHO much of it is eBay's own fault for being so bleeping stupid and not allowing users a little more control.
    Or not listening when you tell them or ask them.
    Examples?

Sold a £200-ish electrical item recently, & noticed payout (PP) was pending.
    Checked & sure enough, my old, out of date (3 years old, mind) Paypal address was showing; yes I KNOW I should have checked when listing
    (maybe I did? And I won't even ask why the old addy should show NOW after three years without a single problem.)
    but it seems my options were to relist OR cancel transaction & send a PP payment request.
    So transaction cancelled, Paypal payment requested, arranged & completed OK, eBay listing updated with tracking etc. (from PP) BUT eBay fees refunded as transaction cancelled.
    And can you find a way around that?
    I can't - so eBay miss out on fees.

Place eBay add, say in add "collection from XXX, cash on collection preferred".
    Then try to put "payment received" in listing if the payment is different to your listing.
    Again, I can see no way.
    So again they lose out on fees because I cannot mark as paid for what I have received.

Overall a very poor system, frankly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport