Default Word

Options
aardvaak
aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Recently my laptop wants to open Word 2016 as the default but I only have Word 2003 installed.
How do I change the default?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How can Word 2016 open if the only version of Word on the machine is 2003?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    1. Try.... find a Word document in File Explorer
    2. Right-mouse-click the document and select "Open With" and then click "Choose another app" at the bottom of the list
    3. left-mouse-click Word 2003 (if it's not in the list click More Apps and if its still not there click Look for other apps on this PC and browse to the Word 2003 executable...)
    4. Finally check the tick box for "Always use this app to open .doc files"

(May have to repeat the above for any othe doc types that you want to open with Word 2003.)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if the issue is that the OP is trying to open .docx files, which probably won't open in Word 2003 so it's asking for 2016 (the current version)?
  • aardvaak
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    How can Word 2016 open if the only version of Word on the machine is 2003?

Word 2016 is there put there by microsoft in one of their updates but I have never activated it as they want money for it
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As per post #4, what is the type of Word file? If it .docx then Word 2003 isn't going to be able to open it.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There is a downloadable add-on compatability pack to allow 2003 to open .docx .xlsx etc...

instructions here:-
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2003-word/compatibility-pack-for-office-2003/349b8e51-1ec9-4f64-8508-27abd8107873

it talks about XP but should work on later versions too...got it on this lappy (W10 with Office 2000 installed ;) )
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I wonder if the issue is that the OP is trying to open .docx files, which probably won't open in Word 2003 so it's asking for 2016 (the current version)?

I concur.

If OP doesn't want to pay to upgrade Word, Libre Office will open the .DOCX files, and 2003 will still do the .DOC.
  • aardvaak
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

It is normally happening on files that someone has emailed to me so I suspect they have Word 2016 - how do I change the type of file and what to?
  • aardvaak
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    I concur.

If OP doesn't want to pay to upgrade Word, Libre Office will open the .DOCX files, and 2003 will still do the .DOC.

Thank you - if I download Libre Officehow do I make sure it is the default?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    It is normally happening on files that someone has emailed to me so I suspect they have Word 2016 - how do I change the type of file and what to?

I'm not sure that you can (and it is any version of Word from 2007 onwards that will default to .docx), but a solution for you is given in post #7.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure