In financial difficulty & recovering from cancer

Options
Hello, I have a dmp with stepchange & I am recovering from cancer & now on benefits. I have read the page on this site about reclaiming for bank charges due to my circumstances, but also wondering if I could try to reclaim charges applied to the credit cards I had?

Obviously the vicious cycle of being debt meant i was living off credit, payments not being paid, going over my overdraft limit, charges being applied etc hence the dmp.

Just wanted to know if anyone has try to reclaim these charges whilst in a dmp, making their debt reduce?

I understand that these are seen as offers of goodwill so I know that it is not a given these would be refunded.

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are reliant on them making a goodwill gesture as you say you know. All you can do is put your case to them and see what happens. Dont demand anything. You want the person at the other end to sympathise with your situation. you dont want to alienate them.

The degree of financial hardship is what usually matters. However, do be aware that refund is just one of the options available. Alternative options frequently used are suspending charges for x months going forward and putting you on a debt management plan. The fact you are already on one works against you but you can only try and see what happens.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    BelleBelle wrote: »
    Just wanted to know if anyone has try to reclaim these charges whilst in a dmp, making their debt reduce?
    As you are already in debt management, I wouldn't expect any further measures by the bank to be deemed appropriate. Have the bank not already frozen interest and charges on your account?
  • BelleBelle
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, yes all interest and charges stopped. All I can do is make a request. Regards
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    BelleBelle wrote: »
    yes all interest and charges stopped.
    You won't be getting any more from them I'm afraid.

You are already in receipt of Debt Management measures.

If you do send the "request" , then expect a swift rebuttal and explanation of what a DMP is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure