Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 12:16 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 9Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    Debt letters, but not my debt
    • 7th Dec 19, 12:16 PM
    Debt letters, but not my debt 7th Dec 19 at 12:16 PM
    I have been starting to receive debt letters for virgin media. The letters are in my name, but not my address. How can I dispute it?
    I know who has done it, but I know they wonít clear the debt or my name and havenít replied to my messages about it.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ScarlettTiger; 07-12-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Dec 19, 1:05 PM
    • 24,829 Posts
    • 27,726 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:05 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:05 PM
    Tell Virgin Media it's not your debt, giving them as much information as you can.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 7th Dec 19, 1:10 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:10 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:10 PM
    This won’t go away by itself and will likely get worse if you don’t deal with it.

Contact Virgin initially and I expect they may suggest putting a protective CIFAS marker on your credit file.

If you are aware that someone has fraudulently used your details then you should also contact Action Fraud.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 7th Dec 19, 1:21 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:21 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:21 PM
    I have been starting to receive debt letters for virgin media. The letters are in my name, but not my address...
    Originally posted by ScarlettTiger
    How come you are receiving any letters from VM, when you say they have been sent to the wrong address? You shouldn't have received them...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 1:26 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:26 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:26 PM
    Whatís a CIFAS

This wonít go away by itself and will likely get worse if you donít deal with it.

Contact Virgin initially and I expect they may suggest putting a protective CIFAS marker on your credit file.

If you are aware that someone has fraudulently used your details then you should also contact Action Fraud.
    Originally posted by Westminster
    • ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 1:27 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:27 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:27 PM
    Theyíve used my name, but their address. So as this person knows me, they know my details.

How come you are receiving any letters from VM, when you say they have been sent to the wrong address? You shouldn't have received them...
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 7th Dec 19, 1:31 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:31 PM
    Theyíve used my name, but their address. So as this person knows me, they know my details.
    Yes, but if they have used their address, how did they get to you in the first place? Or did the person at the other address pass them on to you?
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 7th Dec 19, 1:31 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    They’ve used my name, but their address. So as this person knows me, they know my details.
    Is 'this person' forwarding the letters to you? Is the account recorded on any of your three credit files? I would definitely make a complaint to the police via ActionFraud.

Protective Registration | Cifas
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 1:33 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:33 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 1:33 PM
    They haven’t been forwarded, they are from the debt company I really don’t know then.
    • robber2
    • By robber2 7th Dec 19, 2:33 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    robber2
    They havenít been forwarded, they are from the debt company I really donít know then.

But how have you seen them? You have said they were sent to someone elses address

Rob
    • ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 3:05 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    Because they are now being sent to me at my actual address, I opened it, and it gave the company (virgin), and address the debt was at.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Dec 19, 3:15 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Sounds to me as if you need sourcrates or someone equally knowledgeable to happen along. I have just had a google but the advice was mostly about credit cards and American so not a great deal of use. One thing I did glean is that you should close the account immediately and contact VM's fraud dept. After all, if the account is in your name, you can close it, presumably.

If you know who has done this, from what I read you need to press charges against them if you want to avoid liability for their debt. I recommend you follow the advice already given and contact Action Fraud, probably the CAB and the police as well as VM. Good luck and please let us know how you get on and what you did as it may help someone else in the same situation. Good luck, ST.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 7th Dec 19, 3:16 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Have you ever lived at the unknown address?
    Has anyone you have known ever lived at the address?
    How old is the debt?
    Do you recall where you were living at the time of the alleged debt?
    Can you prove you were living somewhere else at the time of the alleged debt?
    • ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 3:20 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    Itís a member of my family, so itís tricky. Hence them knowing my details. Iíve never lived at the address.

Have you ever lived at the unknown address?
    Has anyone you have known ever lived at the address?
    How old is the debt?
    Do you recall where you were living at the time of the alleged debt?
    Can you prove you were living somewhere else at the time of the alleged debt?
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Dec 19, 3:45 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    No idea how practical this might be but is it worth your confronting this person? Could involving other members of your family perhaps assist in resolving this situation?

At least, if you know who the culprit is, you can report them to the police (or tell them you will) and see if that bears fruit. I would definitely close the account and tell VM's fraud dept. as well as Action Fraud, in any case.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ScarlettTiger
    • By ScarlettTiger 7th Dec 19, 4:05 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ScarlettTiger
    Thank you all, I have contacted virgin and will go from there.
    As you can appreciate it is a really hard situation, to just be able to contact the police on a family member, and the consequences of that. I don’t condone what they have done to me, but reporting them isn’t a decision I can make lightly.
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 7th Dec 19, 4:10 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 7,160 Thanks
    Gaz83
    As you can appreciate it is a really hard situation, to just be able to contact the police on a family member, and the consequences of that. I donít condone what they have done to me, but reporting them isnít a decision I can make lightly.
    This crops up quite often on this forum. You essentially have two options:

1) Report the other person to the police / action fraud, and then the debt should be removed from your record.

2) Don't report the other person to the police / action fraud, and accept liability for the debt.

Quite a lot of folk seem to want the debt removed from their record without landing the relative in hot water. This can't happen.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Dec 19, 4:23 PM
    • 19,129 Posts
    • 18,055 Thanks
    sourcrates
    As you can appreciate it is a really hard situation, to just be able to contact the police on a family member, and the consequences of that. I don’t condone what they have done to me, but reporting them isn’t a decision I can make lightly.
    Hi,

You should really just tell Virgin what you have told us on here.

To be honest, although the advice was given with the best of intentions, contacting Action Fraud can be a complete waste of time, the only positive thing is they should give you a crime reference number, so that in the future, if any other "debt" crops up, you can refer the creditor to them and quote that number.

Have a look on the ICO website for other things you can do to protect your information :

https://ico.org.uk/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Dec 19, 4:31 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Smodlet
    What Gaz83 said, with bells on. It is your decision and you now have the options in black and white. In my opinion, the way this individual has behaved deserves at least as severe a consequence as some random hacker who steals your identity. To do this to someone who cares about you adds insult to injury.

What you choose to do about it is entirely up to you but, to put it rather more bluntly than Gaz83's post, I deem it time either to face up or pay up. Those really are your only options: How much respect can this family member have for you if they treat you like this and expect to get away with it? That's how much consideration they deserve, imho.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 7th Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    How much is owed on the VM account? Are you able to pay the bill and then charge your guilty family member as if it were a loan?

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter