how to sell a car that has PCP finance?

hi,

I'm looking at getting an Audi A4 on a lease as the monthly work out a lot cheaper than my current A180 Sport on PCP finance. I have a settlement figure off £14,541.62 with Black Horse finance @ 6.9%APR However, we buy any car are only offering me £13,750
I believe the car is worth a lot more than this as its still showroom condition only done 10,800 miles within nearly two years with FSH.

I've looked into selling on Autotrader and the recommended start price of £16,560 which would more than cover the debt and would help with the contribution of the initial payment of my new lease agreement. Is this Legal to do? How do I inform the private seller it has outstanding finance? How do I make sure finance company gets the settlement figure and I get some form of equity out of the vehicle safely? What's the best option?

I also, have the dilemma of being pressured into applying for the finance of the lease by the end of tomorrow. I don't want to be in a position where I'm having to make two car payments. Also, I need a car if I sell it tomorrow or fast I will be without a car for two to three weeks and only being 20 years old renting a car is near impossible and ridiculously expensive.

Have any ideas?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Any private buyer with any savvy will do an HPI check and run a mile if there is outstanding finance.
  • How much has the Mercedes dealer offered you for the vehicle? Have you asked them? You don't have to be part-exchanging to sell back to the dealer. Don't expect miracles, but it might be better than webuyanycar and get you closer to clearing the finance.

The trouble with PCP balances is that the payments are structured such that the balance owing and the trade value of the car only coincide at the end of the term when all costs and depreciation have been covered. Just remember that your first few PCP payments will only be paying off interest and VAT/delivery costs (which are not actually part of the vehicle's value).

The biggest fly in the ointment really, though, is the fact you'd then have to drive an Audi - think of the yards and yards of dismal understeer, inert handling, and the abject shame as all other road users shun you as a total pariah.:) (I say this having owned 3 Audis in the past)
  • PCP will 99% of the time end up with 'equity', for want of a better word, left in the car so you'll go back to the dealer and use the difference between GFV and what the dealer will give you as a deposit. Worst case, hand the car back, costing you nothing other than an expensive lesson, or Audi might offer you a grand (try a couple of dealerships)
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Adam_Fox wrote: »
    hi,

I'm looking at getting an Audi A4 on a lease as the monthly work out a lot cheaper than my current A180 Sport on PCP finance. I have a settlement figure off £14,541.62 with Black Horse finance @ 6.9%APR However, we buy any car are only offering me £13,750
    I believe the car is worth a lot more than this as its still showroom condition only done 10,800 miles within nearly two years with FSH.

I've looked into selling on Autotrader and the recommended start price of £16,560 which would more than cover the debt and would help with the contribution of the initial payment of my new lease agreement. Is this Legal to do? How do I inform the private seller it has outstanding finance? How do I make sure finance company gets the settlement figure and I get some form of equity out of the vehicle safely? What's the best option?

I also, have the dilemma of being pressured into applying for the finance of the lease by the end of tomorrow. I don't want to be in a position where I'm having to make two car payments. Also, I need a car if I sell it tomorrow or fast I will be without a car for two to three weeks and only being 20 years old renting a car is near impossible and ridiculously expensive.

Have any ideas?

Op, mothly running costs are you main concern hence the reason you want to change cars to a lower running one, can you not just keep going with the a180 untill you reach vt point and just give themthe carback and just buy a small used car

your 20 years old and you are already in nearly 15k's worth of debt just in a car and we dont know if you have any other debt such as cc's or loans etc... but the point im making is you need to stop doing this to your self keep getting in to debt for cars etc... at such a young this is not a road you want to carry on mate trust me if i had someone tell me off when i was younger i would not have wasted all the money i have over the years, i love cars i work on them day in day out but i would not get in to debt for one seeing payments come out evey month after ive worked so hard all month, them early morning starts them days when you dont feel like going in etc... the debt is not worth it it really is not and i do regret every pound i wasted on wants rather than needs, so im just trying to stop you making the same mistakes i did when i was your age and now regret them

house prices and the cost of living is going up but wages are still the same so start saving now and in a few years you will have the money for a house instead of wasting it on cars :money: and regret it.
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Your best option is to keep the car you have.

6.9% APR is horrendous. Can you get a bank loan?

It is a big decision. Do not allow yourself to be pressured into making a mistake.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ratrace wrote: »
    your 20 years old .
    Blimey. When I was 20 I was running around in a 14 year old Morris Marina that cost me £500 to buy outright. Now I'm 50 I'm driving a car that is coming up to its 20th birthday which I've owned for nearly 16 years,.

Now I know that the build quality and life expectancy of a car built today is much better than a BL car from the mid 1970s, so why does everyone need a new / nearly new car nowadays, especially those barely out of their teens?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Blimey. When I was 20 I was running around in a 14 year old Morris Marina that cost me £500 to buy outright. Now I'm 50 I'm driving a car that is coming up to its 20th birthday which I've owned for nearly 16 years,.

My first car was a 1968 Mini Countryman - the one with the wooden frames around the back windows. Cost me £350, and was 18 years old when I bought it - I distinctly remember because it was built in the year I was born. Loved that car, and it lasted me 3 years.

And even now I drive older cars, usually around 7 - 10 years old when I buy them, and (touch wood) they've always lasted me really well.
  • True! You will cripple yourself, drain your account every month and for what? To drive round in another ten a penny black or white German finance mobile that everyone knows is on finance/leased and you can't afford to buy one outright.
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

The biggest fly in the ointment really, though, is the fact you'd then have to drive an Audi - think of the yards and yards of dismal understeer, inert handling, and the abject shame as all other road users shun you as a total pariah.:) (I say this having owned 3 Audis in the past)

Yes, but just think of all the fun you could have driving 3" off people's back bumper, with your badly designed HID lights dazzling them in their mirrors..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure