PCP missold policy and now stuck with mileage charges

Options

Comments

• Willingwisp
    Willingwisp Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 August 2018 at 3:31PM
    Options
    Following this with interest as Im in exactly the same boat with the same finance company. I havent spoken to them yet as they are not open today. I am 18 months into my 3 year PCP and will be hugely over my mileage allowance owing the the dealer persuading me to reduce from 12,000 to 10,000- yes I dont need berating, I signed the contract blah blah blah!

I'm following to try and determine what is the best thing to do. Currently my thoughts are;
    1. Get a current settlement figure and pay with a bank loan then potentially sell on
    2. Keep the car until the 3 year point, hand it back get a loan for the mileage and get a new car
    3. VT the PCP

My excess milegae charges are going to be circa £8000 by the end of the 3 years!!:(:(
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    If that was the case then the OP would not have to pay any excess mileage charges when he VT'd - but there is a possibility that he will. Contract was still made on the basis that the stated mileage was half of the actual mileage required to keep the price down.

The charges DO only become payable at the end of term, however if you terminate the contract for whatever reason then you may or may not be liable for further charges.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Following this with interest as Im in exactly the same boat with the same finance company. I havent spoken to them yet as they are not open today. I am 18 months into my 3 year PCP and will be hugely over my mileage allowance owing the the dealer persuading me to reduce from 12,000 to 10,000- yes I dont need berating, I signed the contract blah blah blah!

I'm following to try and determine what is the best thing to do. Currently my thoughts are;
    1. Get a current settlement figure and pay with a bank loan then potentially sell on
    2. Keep the car until the 3 year point, hand it back get a loan for the mileage and get a new car
    3. VT the PCP

My excess milegae charges are going to be circa £8000 by the end of the 3 years!!:(:(

For 2,000 miles a year extra? :eek:

What are you driving, a Bentley?
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I VT'd my agreement last year and when I was looking into the process, I found this resource very helpful as a starting point:

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/forum/legal-forums/motoring-parking/vehicle-finance-and-issues/77730-a-guide-to-voluntary-termination-your-rights
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

3. VT the PCP

Is there a reason why you don’t want to buy the car?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you don’t want to buy the car?

That's my thought; probably cheaper to just buy the car at the end rather than the excess mileage charges.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,363 Forumite
    Options
    I'd go for 4. Keep the car for 3 years. Pay the "balloon" payment to buy the car - you no longer have to pay the mileage charge. Take out the lowest interest loan you can find to pay it.

Then keep the car until it falls to bits. Don't get sucked into another bad PCP deal.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I'd go for 4. Keep the car for 3 years. Pay the "balloon" payment to buy the car - you no longer have to pay the mileage charge. Take out the lowest interest loan you can find to pay it.

Then keep the car until it falls to bits. Don't get sucked into another bad PCP deal.

In fairness it wasnt a bad PCP deal. He either put down mileage that was way lower than what he was actually doing OR his circumstances changed. The easiest way to rectify that is to phone the finance company and have the payments recalculated, or simply set aside the excess mileage amount each month in savings.

Kicking the can down the road until theres a massive bill looming (a) is not the answer and (b) is not the fault of the PCP deal
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    For 2,000 miles a year extra? :eek:

What are you driving, a Bentley?
    The highest excess charges I saw, were 44p per mile, but it still doesn't work for the expect 6000 miles over the limit and cost of £8000 for that. So it's either typo or a lot of excess miles.

It's possible to recalculate payments, depending on finance company.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options

3. VT the PCP

At 18 months through a 3 year deal, you won't be able to VT. You can VT when you have paid 50% of the amount covered by the agreement. It is not 50% through the term. On most PCPs that is close to the end o the 3 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure