What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019?

Options

Comments

• 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just made a batch of cheese scones, melting moments and overnight oats. Considering everyone was telling me we were desperate for a food shop, we're all eating very nicely today!

Dawn, good to hear you slept better last night.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Hi January Joy-Seekers,

Afternoon!:coffee: Lovely day off and it's bucketing down

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Continue my new Challenge 500 miles challenge. I am going to travel 500 miles for free before the end of 2019: walking, hiking, climbing, cycling, running and swimming. (There is a charge to use the local pool but I will offset the cost in other ways so there is 'no charge'.) Will jog later. Managed 3.06km in a 40mph wind.

* Make butternut soup from cheap jumbo squash. Done. Added limp lettuce from fridge. Metal stick blender broke. Grr. :mad: DW can't find the receipt so I'll try and get a refund/exchange with a bank statement tomorrow. Not sure where receipt has gone we are usually meticulous about filing receipts away. Only bought the thing in Nov. Froze soup into four portions.

* Lunch is a cut-priced beef joint. Serving with roast 'potatoes' made from jumbo butternut squash.

* Couldn't sleep last night. Bed uncomfortable. DW was all for hiring a van, driving the mattress (our landlady's) to our storage locker and bring back our mattress from storage. Flipped mattress. Problem solved.

* Triage wee freezer. Done. Added rocket and chive to soup.

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,166 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    CLF - No need to feel guilty about car purchase. We are all about not wasting money on here. We all know we do sometimes have to spend some!
    CCL - Scones are completely bomb proof. There are two tricks to them (apart from obviously being able to follow a recipe & turn on an oven). One is to use both self-raising flour AND a bit of raising agent for a decent rise. The other is not to roll the dough too thin. In fact, I no longer roll out scone dough. I press it down to the required thickness with my hands & save having to wash the rolling pin.
    And now for today's frugal efforts:
    *Worm compost harvested & divided between the grape vine & the bean patch. Composter set up again for the coming year.
    *Watered my autumn sown sweet peas.
    *Coloured my shabby roots (free box of dye).
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *Rounded up all yesterday's free beauty product samples to use over the coming week (acquired on city centre trip).
    *Knit - should finish sleeve & be casting on the other one tonight.
    *Jacket potato night - I fancy fish, mushrooms & tomatoes with mine. Mr f has ferretted umpteen little containers of leftovers out of the freezer & is planning to make the first truly epic Man Stew of 2019........
    *Read 2 free Waitrose magazines.
    *Entered a competition.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Put washer on timer for laundry load on Economy 7 tariff.
    *Update my DFW diary.
    *Explain to cat for the 678946765349th time that he doesn't get 2 dinners.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    *Explain to cat for the 678946765349th time that he doesn't get 2 dinners.
    F x

My mum is currently obsessed that their cat isn't eating enough. She described it as skin and bones.
    (upon inspection I saw a perfectly normal cat. She is pretty daintily sized but just not fat. Coat seems glossy and wants to play all the time so can't be much wrong)
    In order to try and "tempt it to eat" there were 8! bowls of food for it! Four different types of biscuit, 2 wet food, 1 bowl of cooked meat and one of raw mince. Plus it was being handed tidbits.
    Considering it nearly took one of my fingers off to obtain a piece of best ham, I can't say that I was concerned for its welfare :rotfl:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,166 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    CLF - Sounds like my parents' cat. If she turned her nose up at a newly opened plate of meat, another can would be opened.....& another! And 2 different flavours of biscuits at any one time in case the little madam was in the mood for fish ones rather than meat ones or vice versa. And every night, a frozen Waitrose fish fillet would be poached & flaked for her. Needless to say, it's a very different regime here!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    CLF - Sounds like my parents' cat. If she turned her nose up at a newly opened plate of meat, another can would be opened.....& another! And 2 different flavours of biscuits at any one time in case the little madam was in the mood for fish ones rather than meat ones or vice versa. And every night, a frozen Waitrose fish fillet would be poached & flaked for her. Needless to say, it's a very different regime here!

Def a spoiled puss! Mum sent me pics of its new cat-bed the other day haha
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CCL - Scones are completely bomb proof. There are two tricks to them (apart from obviously being able to follow a recipe & turn on an oven). One is to use both self-raising flour AND a bit of raising agent for a decent rise. The other is not to roll the dough too thin. In fact, I no longer roll out scone dough. I press it down to the required thickness with my hands & save having to wash the rolling pin.

Same here, I just flatten the dough a bit with my hands, for exactly the same reason :rotfl:
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Productive day all round. Haven't managed the run but will do a kettlebell workout shortly. I have though, in addition to my list:

Made scones and biscuits and a jam roll poly for pud (flattening of scones very much the order of the day here too) also don't over work the dough to keep them light
    Cancelled one policy that I could do over the phone as they were helpfully open today, other will have to go on tomorrow's list
    Went through all my recent online payments at bank and deleted details of all one offs so I don't pay anyone I shouldn't by accident
    Cut down 3 fushia bushes
    Moved big fridge freezer to a temporary home. Gave it a good clean for it travels
    Deep clean of dining room
    3 coats found their way to a charity bag
    Listed 6 things on the bay

Still to do this evening:
    Work out of I can wire something to a plug that's one of those that's switched on remotely at the wall. Have measured item to see if it fits. This would be amazing if I can.
    Enjoy a soak in the tub and do home manicure. Use some potions. See if I have some wax strips to do my eye brows
    Research coffee, it seems they have stopped making our favourite brand :eek: or at least rebranded it for now good reason other than to probably put the price up. Hmm.

Enjoy your evening folks. Purps.
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Research coffee, it seems they have stopped making our favourite brand :eek: or at least rebranded it for now good reason other than to probably put the price up. .

Not sure what your coffee requirement is but we buy the Asda no 4 Italian style (green packet, £1.34) which is ground for cafetiere etc. People always comment how nice it is and are surprised when they find out it's cheap!
    Tesco do a similar one if you don't have an Asda
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CCL - Scones are completely bomb proof. There are two tricks to them (apart from obviously being able to follow a recipe & turn on an oven). One is to use both self-raising flour AND a bit of raising agent for a decent rise.

We have a tiny kitchen. We buy only plain flour and add raising agent as required.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure