Plastering 3 bed semi

Options
We’re in the process of updating a 3 bed semi. So far we have added a new boiler and got new rads, and a rewire is taking place.

Have struggled to find a plasterer available. Yesterday got a quote from a highly experienced and recommended plasterer. He’s looked at the walls (had been covered in heavy textured wallpaper) and said almost all walls need taking back to brick, boarding and plastering.

I’ve got 2 questions: 1. Does it really need such extensive work? 2. Is the quoted price fair?

If I can work out how to post pics I will, but basically the plaster looks smooth on most walls but has cracks all over. In some areas it sounds hollow to the tap and around windows and fireplace there are large pieces dropping off. Almost all walls are yellow tinged for the plaster with bits of pink (plaster added later) and white (I suspect polyfilla). The plasterer has said most of the plaster is original.

He’s said we could alternatively patch up the plaster and get a decorator to line it, although the finish won’t be as good. Considering that it is a long term home for us and that it can potentially be vacant during replastering (although we would incur accomodation costs) I’m inclined to do it properly, just once.

The electrician doing the rewire says he doesn’t think it needs such extensive replastering but then he hasn’t started chasing the walls yet.

So the quote is 18 solo days or 10 days for 2 plasterers. £150 per day for the 18 days + £1300 materials = £4150 all in.

House is in Yorkshire with good access and will be vacant.
Total debt outstanding: Jan18 -£1813 / Feb18 -£1649 / Mar18 -£1278 / Apr18 -£999 / May18 -£632 / June18 -£316 / July18 £0
House Buy/Sell Fund: Jan18 £0 / Feb18 £184 / Mar18 £568 / Apr18 £936 / May18 £956 / June18 £1538 / Jul18 £2233 / Aug18 £2719

Comments

• Jigglebiz
    Jigglebiz Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Well if anyone reads this we’ve decided not to proceed and go with the patching up and lining paper method. Couldn’t cope with the time and disruption but most of all, the fact that a crisp plasterboard finish would probably look out of place in a 1930s house. Also a bit concerned about replacing original lime plaster with something that isn’t as breathable. Time will tell if we regret it!
    Total debt outstanding: Jan18 -£1813 / Feb18 -£1649 / Mar18 -£1278 / Apr18 -£999 / May18 -£632 / June18 -£316 / July18 £0
    House Buy/Sell Fund: Jan18 £0 / Feb18 £184 / Mar18 £568 / Apr18 £936 / May18 £956 / June18 £1538 / Jul18 £2233 / Aug18 £2719
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jigglebiz wrote: »
    Well if anyone reads this we’ve decided not to proceed and go with the patching up and lining paper method. Couldn’t cope with the time and disruption but most of all, the fact that a crisp plasterboard finish would probably look out of place in a 1930s house. Also a bit concerned about replacing original lime plaster with something that isn’t as breathable. Time will tell if we regret it!

Disruption I agree - a nuisance.
    You definitely have to be organised to declutter the rooms that are going to be worked in/on !

Crisp finish - disagree.
    My previous house was the age of yours, and my current one is a 1968 build and the new walls (aswell as ceilings) don't look out of place - on the contrary, it looks clean and fresh.

I can see the merit in taking the route you've chosen, and if it's not your 'forever home' it makes sense, actually, even if it is it's a thing you can alter when you come round to decorating it next time :beer:
    Forgot to add, plasterers aren't cheap are they !
    Your quote seems fair to me, i'm in the south west.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If this is going to be your long term home, I would not use lining paper on all walls especially around window. It's an guarantee for another repair job in few years time with the rain/wind and paper will get peeled off, let along seeing the lines everywhere all over the house.

I would at very least replaster some of the big wall, say hall way or living room so it gives a fresh and proper finish, and use lining paper in smaller wall, say bedroom or staircase area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure