Portfolio Value: £0
    Stock Value: £0
    Cash Value: £0

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Two weeks ago I decided to take a punt at investing some spare money in stock
    Your question was about terminology >>
    To Invest - to put your hard earned money into well diversified long term investments with a 95% chance of a return higher than inflation .
    To Punt - To gamble on single company shares /bet on the outcome of horse races with a reasonable chance of losing everything.
    . A friend recommend their app to use so I've given it a blast.

The correlation factor between having a good app and the chances of a successful outcome - zero
  • to_boldly_go
    Options
    Did you add the £4k today with a debit card?

When I've done that, the cash you've just added isn't included in the "cash value" immediately, presumably because they are waiting for the debit card transaction to go through. But they do let you buy shares immediately using the cash you just added, which reduces the "cash value", and can therefore temporarily make it negative. (ISTR that when the trade settles doesn't affect this, because they reduce the "cash value" as soon as you make the trade.)

So I expect that, when the debit card transaction has cleared, you will have a small positive number for "cash balance", and the same figure for "stock value" that you have now (except for changes due to share price movements).

You didn't ask this, but IMHO "taking a punt" like this is a really bad idea :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure