PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp duty help?

Options
Ok, so this is my first post so please go easy as this is a tricky one to digest! 🤗
So I bought a house last year for £190k with just myself on the title deeds and mortgage, I paid stamp duty for the purchase (can't remember the exact figure) and I signed a deeds of consent to allow my Fianc! to live with me and she has been on the electoral roll since we moved in together.
18 months later and a lot of work to the house it is now worth approx £70k more than I paid for it and I would like to release some equity in order to complete the full renovations (approx £15k).
Problem 1:) Due to the refurb of the property - approx £30k of personal debt, I on paper can no longer afford the mortgage I have let alone a remortgage for £15k more (I took out the mortgage 18 months ago with zero debt) so I would like to add my Fianc! to the mortgage and deeds if necessary to increase the affordability and thus allow us to remortgage for a higher amount

Problem 2:) My Fianc! already owns a property from 10 years ago and a past relationship, she has not lived nor stepped foot in that house since she left her ex partner so it has not been her main residence since 2008.
She has been trying since then to get her name removed from the mortgage by means of a name change to his father as guarantor but her ex is too lazy to do anything and has just allowed the situation to drag on.
Her ex still lives in the property with his wife (wed in 2010) and 3 children so she cannot force him to sell as a solicitor has told us no court will push through a force of sale when young children are involved.
My fiance has wanted to be rid of this situation since they split up but he has been too lazy to sort anything out.

The question now lies... If I want to add my fiance to the deeds of MY house and ultimately to a mortgage application is there any stamp duty to pay on her part?
I've been scouring the internet for weeks now trying to find an answer but have failed so far, if there are any clever clogs on here who can give me some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ash.

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can’t “name change” a mortgage. The old house will have to be remortgaged with the subsequent tests on affordability of the new mortgagees.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stamp duty is payable even if she's your wife, on the consideration of the mortgage. The 3% surcharge is an issue. And she's not your wife yet, even.

That's a very expensive way of borrowing just £15k. Are you wanting to consolidate that £30k as well as the £15k?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Bigbrowney
    Options
    We've kind of put that to bed now anyway and we're no longer pursuing it... whatever happens my other half is owed half of any profits from future sale of the house as she owns half of the house.
    He's just too stupid to realise that.
  • Bigbrowney
    Options
    I wasn't planning on consolidation of the £30k as I will probably have that paid off in 4-5 years, the £15k was for additional work to the exterior of the house, windows / roof and cladding.
    I'm not in a position to borrow more and the exterior work required won't wait 5 years.
  • Bigbrowney
    Options
    So basically there will be some stamp duty to pay? What exactly I still can't figure out as I've paid what I owed when I purchased the house so I assume it will be the difference of that subtracted from anything owed by my fianc! entering into the mortgage.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    Bigbrowney wrote: »
    whatever happens my other half is owed half of any profits from future sale of the house as she owns half of the house.
    He's just too stupid to realise that.

I wouldn’t count on it. Non contribution to upkeep, mortgage payments etc. Tenants in common or joint tenants on the deeds? Too many variables to assume automatic entitlement to half this late in the day.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Bigbrowney
    Options
    Joint tenants, the upkeep and payment of mortgage is irrelevant, she is legally entitled to an equal share of any profits on the house when it is sold.
    The house can also not be sold or remortgaged without her consent.
    She has an equal right to whole property, and should her ex pass away then she would receive the whole rights to the property.
  • SMR710
    SMR710 Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What is a Fianc! :rotfl: ??!!
  • Bigbrowney
    Options
    Fiance, it would appear when you spell it correctly with the accented "e" you get an !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure