Accused of Stealing Money at Work

Options

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have to say but I agree with the amount being an odd amount to steal!

We are unaware of the amount alleged stolen.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    We are unaware of the amount alleged stolen.

OP said that it had pence in it, which would make it an odd amount to steal (as apposed to just taking 5x £20 notes)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    OP said that it had pence in it, which would make it an odd amount to steal (as apposed to just taking 5x £20 notes)
    Just because someone is a thief doesn't mean they are capable of making the correct change! You can steal money and make a mistake with change. It proves nothing.
  • Lucyxx
    Lucyxx Posts: 3,147 Forumite
    Options
    Could there have been an error on the computer end of cashing up? A till not correctly reconciled the night before so it thinks there should have been more the next day? Or incorrectly on the day of the incident.

Sometimes when we have had little errors at work it is the case of someone inputting a decimal point in the wrong place. I have made errors cashing up as our newer system asks us how many of each note we have instead of the amount, Eg, I had one £5 note in one till so should have inputted 1, but accidentally put 5 (without thinking as in my hand was a fiver!) The computer thought we had £25 in £5's and we spent ages counting and recounting and checking the counter cache incase it was stuck in there to find the missing £20 before I worked out what I had done.

Awful to be accused of something you haven't done.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're taking a colleague, you can ask them to attend to take notes for you without discussing the case with them.

Having someone to take notes for you is a very good idea ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    If you're taking a colleague, you can ask them to attend to take notes for you without discussing the case with them.

Terms of suspension would normally stipulate no contact with other members of staff.
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Terms of suspension would normally stipulate no contact with other members of staff.
    Read the OP...they've been told they can have a colleague present.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't an offer to take a colleague imply you can discuss things with them?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Xbigman wrote: »
    Doesn't an offer to take a colleague imply you can discuss things with them?

Darren
    It isn't an offer. It's the law. So yes - if someone agrees to accompany you then you are allowed to discuss it wit them. But first they must agree to accompany you - and that requires you to ask via HR or the manager in charge of the disciplinary.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NCC-1707 wrote: »
    Read the OP...they've been told they can have a colleague present.
    this case cannot be discussed with any other other CompanyX employees

The implication apparently taken by the op appears to be they are under instruction not to discuss therefore are at a loss how to have a companion if they are unable to arrange without breaching terms of suspension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport